Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-25-2017, 08:22 PM

Default VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file

Greetings Avid community!

I purchased Pro Tools 12 with the intent of using it to host the video off of my main computer and have it slave to Cubase. The only thing giving me trouble is loading the video into PT on my slave system.

The problem is strange because I have Pro Tools installed on my main system, a mid-2010 Mac Pro, and I can load any video in with no problem (regardless of format). However, on my 2011 iMac, PT gives the message shown in the screen shot when I try to drag the video in.

I have done the following to troubleshoot so far with 0 success:

- uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools twice
- copy all the codecs from my Mac Pro to my iMac
- converted the video to Apple Pro Res 422 and 422 (proxy)
- moved the video files around to make them easier to locate for PT

Again, it is so strange, because there is 0 problems on the Mac Pro, it's literally only when I move over to the iMac that this happens. Two things seems certain, I am not missing any codecs and the files I'm using are supported. The fact that this all runs on one system is proof.

The only difference between the Mac Pro and iMac is that on my iMac I also installed the DX drivers, but when I read about what that is, it shouldn't be causing this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I get the sense it's something silly. I've also included a shot of all the codecs on my iMac. Ironically, my Mac Pro actually has much fewer codecs than this, yet the problem is still only on the iMac. I am just moving my iLok from one computer to the other the run PT.

Also note, I do not have an audio interface on my iMac yet, just setting to Pro Tools Aggregate I/O for now, but I'm assuming that shouldn't matter from importing a video.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 11.05.58 PM.jpg (24.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 8.19.51 PM.jpg (56.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-25-2017, 08:44 PM

Default Re: VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file

Looks like you don't have the prores codecs?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2017, 08:44 PM

Default Re: VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file

My bad, ignore

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroSaini View Post

I purchased Pro Tools 12 with the intent of using it to host the video off of my main computer and have it slave to Cubase. The only thing giving me trouble is loading the video into PT on my slave system.

The problem is strange because I have Pro Tools installed on my main system, a mid-2010 Mac Pro, and I can load any video in with no problem (regardless of format). However, on my 2011 iMac, PT gives the message shown in the screen shot when I try to drag the video in.

Again, it is so strange, because there is 0 problems on the Mac Pro, it's literally only when I move over to the iMac that this happens. Two things seems certain, I am not missing any codecs and the files I'm using are supported. The fact that this all runs on one system is proof.

The only difference between the Mac Pro and iMac is that on my iMac I also installed the DX drivers, but when I read about what that is, it shouldn't be causing this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I get the sense it's something silly. I've also included a shot of all the codecs on my iMac. Ironically, my Mac Pro actually has much fewer codecs than this, yet the problem is still only on the iMac. I am just moving my iLok from one computer to the other the run PT.

Also note, I do not have an audio interface on my iMac yet, just setting to Pro Tools Aggregate I/O for now, but I'm assuming that shouldn't matter from importing a video.

Thank you!
hi, system info .. MAc OS version for each computer .. etc .. some folks solved this by re-importing the video .. and does this happen in a Blank Session with just the Video track ??

you said you copied the codecs, did you try installing the codecs ?? there might be a hidden file that was missed with the copy procedure ..

here is one article related to this, looking for more - there have been several Threads regarding this floating around, just eed to find them .. and this article is for PT11 and higher .. even though the link just says PT11

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...o-Pro-Tools-11

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-28-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroSaini View Post

Thank you!
Hey there. I had the same issue when trying to import my video files. I found out that i had renamed the folder which had my videos stored with a " / ". Somehow having " / " within the folder name creates an issue with linking the codecs or components needed. I hope this helps!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Thanks Tezekiel!

This tip keeps me from re-installing PT and all the hazzle involved
Old 04-05-2019, 03:45 PM

Thanks Tezekiel! I just ran into the same exact issue with clients in the room. Got it solved quick thanks to your tip!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:12 AM

Thanks a lot Tezekiel, had the same issue and the "/" was indeed the pb.
Pb solved !
Old 01-13-2020, 02:53 PM

Hello everyone
I have Win 10 64bit latest version. I installed PT 2019 also latest version. I have a problem when I want to load the video.
It's the same with the 2012 version. I installed QuickTime and all the possible codecs, I downloaded the clean PT version, I tried everything, but one video format won't load. Can anyone know what this is about. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (19.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (28.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (34.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-01-2022, 01:13 PM

Default VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file

Good evening all

i am getting this error while trying in import video unable to link to file due to missing codec in PT 12.5.0
tried manually and shortcut ctrl+shift+alt+i also not working.
ABLE TO IMPORT ONLY AUDIO AND SESSION DATA EXCEPT VIDEO

the same sessions when i insert to hdd in studio its getting opened.
videos are converted in mpeg streamclip in 720*576 res apple dv pal 24fps

tried reinstalling and protools thrice.
even reinstalled os too

apart from pt no other softwares nor files exist in laptop. its like brand new with oly pt

my system configuration
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Precision M4800
BIOS: A06 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8098MB RAM
Page File: 4888MB used, 5128MB available
HDD MSATA 248GB
Windows Dir: C:\Windows