Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-26-2015, 11:03 AM

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Coming.

In the meanwhile I promise a very good delay for AAX-DSP.
Don't tease us!

Ross Martin Super Beast
Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz 16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.6
http://www.keith-moore.org
Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM
SKnote

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

A small bump and an important note:

This project is "all or nothing"!

You get your contribute back if we don't reach the goal! No risk to loose it!

I'm writing again because from some questions I understood it is not 100% clear.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:54 PM

Any developpement on your side for AAX plugins we could try?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2015, 03:41 PM
SKnote

Almost done. AAX-DSP ready required a bit of work but will make everything smooth later.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
An update:

Disto is running as AAX-native and it will be a big bump to this campaign once public.
Looks like the page is public. I'd love to try this thing out in AAX native. http://www.sknote.it/Disto.htm
Old 10-04-2015, 01:52 AM

Mike from Pro Tools Expert here.

Quote:
PTE has turned into advertising driven clickbait (PT sucks and "this" is wonderful and "this" is who is paying most for advertising) and I don't really know any one serious that still goes there or listens. It's turned into a bad joke.
Quote:
My feeling exactly. I can't even tolerate waiting for a web page load on their web site anymore with all those damn ads.
Those "damned ads" are the way we can bring the huge amount of free content to the Pro Tools community. We are producing 3 to 6 stories a day on the site and these aren't just copied and pasted press releases, these are carefully consisted pieces, team members spending 20 hours on a mic preamp shoot out. Having team members at major trade shows reporting on the latest information. Helping people walk their way through the new Avid licensing system. Providing detailed video previews of products before they are released. All this takes time, and then there is the infrastructure to keep the site running, which because of the visitor numbers is significant.

We have just upgraded the system that delivers those damned ads so that shouldn't delay the content loading.

As to the comment that our content favours advertisers, as the editor I can that is complete rubbish. We have a very strong editorial independence and if you listen to the podcast we actually challenged Quinto's claims about how easy it is to code for AAX DSP as we talk to a lot of the developers behind the scenes.

We have advertisers that completely respect our independence and know that we will dig around to get the latest info.

If have any ideas of how to run and fund a site of our size and level of output without those damned ads, I would be very interested to here it. Meanwhile, I have a roof over my head and my family are being cared for.

Mike

Editor Pro Tools Expert
Old 10-04-2015, 03:53 AM
SKnote

Mike, how to find that podcast?
It is not my interest to say AAX-DSP is easy (I couldn't, I never compiled any), I'd be very interested in hearing from other developers on the subject.

I'd also love to underline how that banner and post brought extremely high "quality" contacts, I feel like I took the right path.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Mike, how to find that podcast?
Pro Tools Expert Podcast 185

Mike.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
Mike from Pro Tools Expert here.

Those "damned ads" are the way we can bring the huge amount of free content to the Pro Tools community. We are producing 3 to 6 stories a day on the site and these aren't just copied and pasted press releases, these are carefully consisted pieces, team members spending 20 hours on a mic preamp shoot out. Having team members at major trade shows reporting on the latest information. Helping people walk their way through the new Avid licensing system. Providing detailed video previews of products before they are released. All this takes time, and then there is the infrastructure to keep the site running, which because of the visitor numbers is significant.

We have just upgraded the system that delivers those damned ads so that shouldn't delay the content loading.

As to the comment that our content favours advertisers, as the editor I can that is complete rubbish. We have a very strong editorial independence and if you listen to the podcast we actually challenged Quinto's claims about how easy it is to code for AAX DSP as we talk to a lot of the developers behind the scenes.

We have advertisers that completely respect our independence and know that we will dig around to get the latest info.

If have any ideas of how to run and fund a site of our size and level of output without those damned ads, I would be very interested to here it. Meanwhile, I have a roof over my head and my family are being cared for.

Mike

Editor Pro Tools Expert
Well you do charge a fee to be able to access a large part of your videos, that fee should take all those adds away for the people that pays subscription and at the same time at a point where the membership exceeds the required expenses of the sites, you should no longer require adds even for the free accounts.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-05-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Well you do charge a fee to be able to access a large part of your videos, that fee should take all those adds away for the people that pays subscription and at the same time at a point where the membership exceeds the required expenses of the sites, you should no longer require adds even for the free accounts.
Clearly you have not visited the site in a while!

Since we overhauled the site in April, EVERYTHING on Pro Tools Expert is FREE to access. We moved the videos, that you refer to, onto a separate platform, which people can subscribe to if they wish, that has around 500 videos. Our YouTube channel, which is FREE to access has over 850 videos on it and we have had over 11 million views. So there are more videos which are free to access, than videos that are accessible by paying a monthly subscription. So your claim that "a large part of your videos" is incorrect.

Unfortunately the business model you suggest, would not work. The revenue we get from subscriptions is nowhere near enough to enable us to keep on doing what we are doing at the level we are doing it.

I suggest we leave it there as this discussion is hijacking an important issue that needs to be discussed.