Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 unable to start up.

Hello everyone.

First things first. Let me introduce myself. My name is Niels, I'm 36 years of age and I'm from the Netherlands.

Today I finally have bought my copy of Pro Tools 9. I've heard so much about it and having watched my favourite artist, Ayreon, Using this piece of software for his music, I finally went for it.

Sadly though, thing's have come to a hold already. The installation went perfect and the update of Protools from 9.0 to 9.6 went also without a problem.

Though each time when I try to start-up Pro Tools, it comes with an error message that I can't explain. Next to Pro Tools, I also have got other software on my Imac, Like Reason 5 and record from Propellerheads and the Analog Experiance from Arturia.

During the start up of Pro Tools, it starts to load allot of Plugins and it stops when it reaches a plugin called Oberheimer SEM V. The weirdest part is that it is being reported by the Elicencer that belong's to the Arturia Software package. I've had several issues with this licence program before, but that was resolved. Sadly though... each and every time this message pops up, Pro Tools refuses to continue loading and simply stops.

I wish I could import a print screen of this so that you could see what I mean.

I hope someone can help me out, cause I can't uses Pro Tools now.

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 unable to start up.

What is the error message that you can't explain? What does it say? Someone else might be able to explain it!

Though it does seem like more of an issue with the plugin authorization than anything else. You should remove that plugin from the plugins folder and hopefully you'll be able to open protools then.

That won't help you with the plugin, but at least you should be able to use protools!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 AM

Hello JWD.

Thank you very much for the reply. I've searched through my entire Imac at everything that relates to this so called Oberheimer Sem V, but all I could see in the end was a complete blank screen. Also in the Elicencer the name Oberheimer Sem V doesn't appear in the list with all my plugins and software related to Arturia. I've also posted a message on the Arturia Forum about this problem, cause the Elicencer came with their software.

Though still each time I try to startup my Pro Tools... it stops during 1/3rd of the plugin load at this Oberheimer thing.

Though you mentioned removing that plugin from the Plugin folder... you mean fysically removing it from the folder or in Protools or is there another way to remove it, like in Windows with the help of the registry?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 AM

yes, i mean physically removing it from the plug-in folder on your computer. i don't have much experience with windows, so I can't advise too much on that - but i would simply suggest removing from your computer everywhere you see it. (don't delete anything without backing it up obviously)

then try and open PT again. if it doesn't work still, reinstall protools. no Oberheimer.

not sure if that'll work for you, but it's certainly worth a try.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 AM

Hey thanks for the reply... though I'm not using Windows for Pro Tools. I've installed it on my Imac running OSX. But the idea of removing Pro Tools and reinstalling it, that I haven't tried yet.

Also I've updated all the Arturia software that has a link with that Elicence program. They asked me to do that too and if the problem remained to inform them a.s.a.p.... so I did and it didn't solve the problem though.

Thanks once more for your help.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM

well... I've completely removed Pro Tools 9 from my Imac... to be sure also restarted the computer and the re-installed it. With allot of hope I thought that that might have solved the problem... but no such luck.

Still it holds on the damn Elicencer plugin called Oberheimer SEM V. I really hate this Elicencer cause it isn't even part of Pro Tools and it simply interferes with software that isn't even part of. I do realise that software safety and security is necessary, but this is simply said ridiculous. It's been a week since I've bought Pro Tools and I haven't done one thing to it.

I hope still someone here can help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:14 AM

If Pro Tools believes there is a plugin in your plugin folder then it is likely there and you need to physically remove it. If you are not finding the file you are looking in the wrong place or confused about its name. If you fully remove Pro Tools then the whole plugin folder should have been removed. Did you use the Pro Tools uninstaller? If the plugin folder was still there afterwards then manually remove everything. Before going for a full uninstall it isusually a good idea to delete preferences and databases. All described in the standard optimization and trouble shooting guides you can find linked from the "Help us Help You - read this before posting" link at the top of this web page.

On OS X systems the plugin folder is in /Library/Application Support/Digidesign

Plugins don't magically get added to Pro Tools, you are doing this. Stop using the synth software (which I have never seen or touched so know nothing about), make sure it is not running components in the background, stop adding updates etc. Just do a clean install of Pro Tools and get this running first.

If you need to try a full reinstall of PT again before doing so remove all this synth software from your computer, hopefully with an uninstaller provided with that software.

Once you have Pro Tools running properly *then* start worrying about how to install third party plugins, that vendors documentation, plugin compatibility specs, and user forums etc. are places you may need to look.

Darryl
Old 08-25-2012, 03:57 AM

Yes people... I've managed to get it finally to work and would like to share it with you all, if someone else might have the same problems.

I've been observing carefully at what point the program holds... and thanks to the info profided by Darryl Ramm, I was able to replace the plug-in that caused all the problem to a different folder, so that it wouldn't be part of the start-up sequence of Pro Tools.

Once done this, the program once more holded, but this time at a plug-in called the Universal AV player, that I also replaced to a different folder.

Now Pro Tools starts up normally. I've also been able to perform the Update from 9.0 to 9.0.6.

But there's one thing that I can't seem to get working though.
I use an Edirol FA101 Audio interface and somehow I can't seem to sellect it to play the audio through my studio monitors. Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you all once more in advance for all the info.

Greetings.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNAB76 View Post
But there's one thing that I can't seem to get working though.
I use an Edirol FA101 Audio interface and somehow I can't seem to sellect it to play the audio through my studio monitors. Does anyone have an idea?
'Can't seem to select it to play' what exactly do you mean? Select it where? Do track meters move? What exact cabling goes to your studio monitors (what port are the monitors plugged into?). Where is the audio playing back now?

If the audio is coming out of the Mac speakers this will be the problem: What is the exact name of the playback engine selected in the setup>playback engine? What options are listed? Pick the one that sounds like the Roland interface. And this should not be an aggregate IO device.

If you are just not hearing anything on your monitors then -

Try checking with a headphone.
Are meters moving on the main bus track?
Try going into Setup>IO and on each page hit the default button
If you are still stuck post a screenshot somewhere on a photo or file sharing site (and put a link here) showing all the tracks in your mix window (want to see the input and output IO selector buttons for each track).

Darryl
Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNAB76 View Post

Once done this, the program once more holded, but this time at a plug-in called the Universal AV player, that I also replaced to a different folder.
Out of curiosity, do you mean "Universal AV player" or "Universal UVI player"? What was the exact name of the plugin?

Darryl