Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Cant install Pro Tools 7.4 due to Windows XP update missing

Hello everyone.

I downloaded PT 7.4 to update my 7.3 version. But after uninstalling the old version, the 7.4 installer wont operate because of this message:

"Your computer in missing a windows XP update required by protools. Please install all available critical updates and before installing protools"

I ran my Windows automatic updates and it didnt work. What other updates are there different from the service packs??
Old 04-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Cant install Pro Tools 7.4 due to Windows XP update miss

From the Pro Tools LE 7.4 Win XP Answerbase section, choose this one:
"Your computer is missing a Windows XP update required by Pro Tools. Please install all available critical updates before installing Pro Tools." when installing Pro Tools 7.4.
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=28169
Old 04-13-2008, 07:14 PM

I've just had precisely the same problem. However, it is exacerbated by the fact that my PT PC is not connected to the internet - it's never updated itself!

How do I go about updating a Windows PC without it being connected to the internet? What's more, how about using a MacBook to do the download?

Pro Tools (or any other program) has never asked me to update Windows before, so it's never been a problem - I just left it at the standard XP SP2 with the hotfixes. Looks like I'm going to have to this time, but I'll be buggered if I can find out how to get critical updates to my operating system without plugging it into the net (not an option).

Is there not some kind of stand alone application that can assess my system, save a file that I can then upload to Micrsoft (whilst confirming the official Windows copy) and retrieve all the downloads I need to my Mac for transporting over? (please say yes)
Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 PM

Service Pack 3 should be here in a month or so just wait and order the CD from MS.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-13-2008, 11:32 PM

That's what a guy on a Windows forum said.

Unfortunately, that involves waiting for the release (and it's Microsoft so who knows) and for Digi to test and support it.

This would normally be fine, I wasn't in any particular hurry to upgrade, but 7.4 (hopefully) contains a fix for a bizarre problem I'm having involving negative latency (don't ask). I need the update to fix my system and get some work done, so I have to find a way to update my XP without connecting the computer to the internet as soon as possible. Surely there must be some way of doing this?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:55 PM

Sonny FWIW my machines up to date on Microsoft Updates, SP3 has no new features to speak of its just a roll up.

If you wait for Digi 7.5 will be out....I would make a drive image and install SP3, If it doesn't work you can revert to your image. Or better yet clone to a new drive and install SP3 on that.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-14-2008, 01:13 AM

Nice one. Thanks fella.

Those kind chaps in Tech Support have pointed me in the direction of the update i need, which was, of course, the one posted in the link above.

Thanks sunburst, and thanks DTS for your invaluable help.

Sonny
Old 04-14-2008, 12:30 PM

Default Cant start up protools 7.4 after installing it

Thanks for the repplies, I went and intalled SP3 hoping it'd fix the problem and it did.

Now I am able tu run PT's 7.4 installer. But then, during the installation it pops a message stating that windows has a problem with the installation and that it should be stopped (which happens everytime I have intalled PT before, but it has never presented any issues). I have to press "continue" several times for the installation to get completed. And then the task bar pops a message stating that there are problems with the Mbox2.

After fixing the issue in the device manager (reinstalling its drivers), PT is supposed to work, but when I try to run it, windows pops an error message. It looks like one of those messages that pop when you "end a task" through windows's task manager (CTRL+ALT+Delete). "Pro Tools Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." "Send error report, Dont send"

I dont know what to do.

I have been noticing a lot of posts regarding 7.4 errors and decided to try it myself....I'm going back to 7.3. until 7.4 issues are completely fixed, or someone here gives me an idea of what to do. Reintsalling PT doesnt work.

Thank you!!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Cant start up protools 7.4 after installing it

Are you aware that SP3 is not approved for PT yet?
Why didn't you just install the specific SP2 update Digi linked you to in the first reply?
You've gone from one unsupported config to another...

Quote:
After fixing the issue in the device manager (reinstalling its drivers), PT is supposed to work, but when I try to run it, windows pops an error message.
You should never use a Windows prompt (either in Device Manager or the New Found Hardware Wizard) to install Digi drivers. They are correctly installed when you install Pro Tools.

Try uninstalling PT completely and reinstall using the instructions in the Getting Started Guide.

Nowhere in this thread have you discussed your computer hardware. Have you verified that your system is even compatible with Pro Tools?