Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-07-2017, 05:51 AM

Default 11.3.1 randomnly forgetting prefs

The last couple of months I've been having an issue where I startup PT 11.3.1 and some prefs have changed on their own. Insertion follows playback toggled off when I want it on; plugin listing organization changed; some MIDI prefs changed and a couple of others I can't remember at the moment. They don't all happen at the same time and don't happen every time I start up PT from cold. I could go several days without a problem then bam! One or more prefs have changed seemingly on their own.

I run a fairly stable system using the OSX 10.9.5 boot partition. Never go online except for the odd authorization or updater that needs it and doesn't have an offline system. Couple of new plugins: Velvet2, Blackhole reverb, Brainworx Bassdude, HOFA tilt eq with the dynamic option and a couple of others.

I do semi-regular permission repairs and use the Pete Gates utility to delete databases but never prefs. I don't change my prefs and always run with the same setup that way. I don't always start PT and then open a session as most times I double click on the session to open PT if it isn't already open but that doesn't seem to matter.

Anybody else run into this and if so how did you fix it if you did?

QAPLA!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Default Re: 11.3.1 randomnly forgetting prefs

Insertion Follows Playback might be a simple and accidental key hit(the "N" key being right above the spacebar makes it easy to hit) Not sure on the midi stuff. FWIW, I have read more than once that its best to open PT first, and then open a session(although I am equally guilty)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-08-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Insertion Follows Playback might be a simple and accidental key hit(the "N" key being right above the spacebar makes it easy to hit) Not sure on the midi stuff. FWIW, I have read more than once that its best to open PT first, and then open a session(although I am equally guilty)
Logical on the 'n' key business. Near as I can figure there's no known shortcut for any of the MIDI prefs. I've heard inconclusive arguments both ways on whether it's better to open a program first and then the document or the other way around.

Something hit me overnight as I tried to get to sleep with the snow coming down here - I wonder if running PT10.3.10 sessions inbetween the PT11 sessions might have an effect on this? Again this is all on my OSX 10.9.5 partition. Near as I remember I have the same prefs set up in both PT versions. Could one be fighting the other?

QAPLA!
Old 01-08-2017, 09:20 AM

Arrow Re: 11.3.1 randomnly forgetting prefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I wonder if running PT10.3.10 sessions inbetween the PT11 sessions might have an effect on this? Again this is all on my OSX 10.9.5 partition. Near as I remember I have the same prefs set up in both PT versions. Could one be fighting the other?
Versions 10 and 11 keep their own preferences. Having said that, the setup you described is not supported by Avid.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Versions 10 and 11 keep their own preferences. Having said that, the setup you described is not supported by Avid.
Thanks for that. I do know there's some interdependancy between the two vis-a-vis installing; PT10 should be installed before PT11 for smooth operation. Doing it the other way has been known to cause issues.

I know PT10 is not officially supported on OSX 10.9.5 but there's a ton of us that do so with no issues other than the uninstaller not working and as IIRC that's the rub with PT10 - the uninstaller doesn't work.

QAPLA!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 AM

I'm not sure if this is related, but it may be. PT12.7 on Win 10. Opened a new session from a template, recorded, edited and off-line bounce. File sounds fine in PT, and much different played back from my onboard soundcard. Finally looked at the Bounce output. It had changed from 1-2 to Physical 1-2. I don't recall seeing that option before and I certainly didn't change it myself. Change the Bounce output back to 1-2 and all is well. Never had that happen before.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-10-2017, 08:16 AM

Update (such as it is):
With regards to the 'insertion follows playback' and the 'n' key business that's only if keyboard focus is enabled and I don't use that. That's not to say that didn't get enabled on it's own as well. Ghosts in the machine?

QAPLA!