Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Default Re: HDN or HDX for VI/MIDI work?

Arche3,

Hi. Thanks for the helpful info.

What hardware did you migrate to BTW??

Quote:
Moved recently from 10hdtdm.
Were you a "Mute Frees Assigned Voices" (voice stealing workflow) kinda guy?? If so, how was the transition for you? Did you pre-prepare yourself for using Playlists instead?

Quote:
Needed my VI stuff to work better so needed newer Mac os. I am really glad I did this. Track freeze is awesome.
This is the crux of why I need to migrate to a 64-bit system myself. I'm sure you're loving the improvement in this department. I've had a wee play about with Freeze and I'm loving the possibilities of this too.

Quote:
Pt 12.6.1 hdx and VePro 6 is awesome for composers.
This is what I keep hearing about VEP. Haven't been able to bring myself to throw in yet another program to operate, save, and backup yet (I currently run Reason as an outrigger for extra sound sources). Is it possible to have all the VEP stuff saved in the master ProTools folder for ease of session management, backup, and recall routines??

Regards.

SB
Old 12-28-2016, 10:38 AM

I moved from hd6accell. Magma pe6r4i. Mac pro 5_1. Dual 3.33 six core. Pt10hd. Blue 192 x 4. Icon dcontrol 48 blue console. Mac os x 10.8.5. Vepro5.

To: hdx2. Pt12.6.1hd. Mac pro 5-1. 64g ram. Dual 3.33 six core. Blue 192x2.
Mac osx Sierra. Vepro6.

I always used play lists. So no issues there.

With vepro 5 and also now 6 whatever template you have up in your protools session and any changes saves with the session itself. You run the vepro server plug in. It calls up the server. You open whatever VI (mutiples) and it just works and saves with session. You can use tons of VI and multiple instances of vepro within the session. It addresses all the ram you can have in the mac due to 64 bit Mac osx. So you are golden for composing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Arche3,

Hi. Thanks for the helpful info.

What hardware did you migrate to BTW??

Were you a "Mute Frees Assigned Voices" (voice stealing workflow) kinda guy?? If so, how was the transition for you? Did you pre-prepare yourself for using Playlists instead?

This is the crux of why I need to migrate to a 64-bit system myself. I'm sure you're loving the improvement in this department. I've had a wee play about with Freeze and I'm loving the possibilities of this too.

This is what I keep hearing about VEP. Haven't been able to bring myself to throw in yet another program to operate, save, and backup yet (I currently run Reason as an outrigger for extra sound sources). Is it possible to have all the VEP stuff saved in the master ProTools folder for ease of session management, backup, and recall routines??

Regards.

SB

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2016, 02:21 PM

Arche3,

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
I moved from hd6accell. Magma pe6r4i. Mac pro 5_1. Dual 3.33 six core. Pt10hd. Blue 192 x 4. Icon dcontrol 48 blue console. Mac os x 10.8.5. Vepro5.

To: hdx2. Pt12.6.1hd. Mac pro 5-1. 64g ram. Dual 3.33 six core. Blue 192x2.
Mac osx Sierra. Vepro6.
Sounds awesome. An HDX2? Nice! Man, that was a hell of a spend.

Quote:
I always used play lists. So no issues there.
Got it. That will have made the transition much easier I suspect, coz Jeez, I just find them so frustrating. Still trying to get the hang of them fully, as I guess I've got no option going forward.

Quote:
VePro 6 even track freezes the multi outs for any instruments. Very slick implementation. Pt 12.6.1 hdx and VePro 6 is awesome for composers.
This sounds SOOO great to me as a composer. But, I just took a look at VEP again, and the first thing I noticed was YET ANOTHER bloody USB dongle for authorisation!! Frick! As if I haven't got enough blimin' USB sticks hanging off my machine already, and the thought of managing them on a bleedin' laptop with sod all USB ports is really ticking me off. I've been having a wee bleat about this already over at this other thread, if you or anyone else reading here cares to check out the fruits of my research in this area and/or join in:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=386552&page=7

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback mate.

Have a HNY all.

Steve B.

Last edited by Bushpig; 12-30-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:03 PM

hi i am running HDN 11HD on a icon ES with mavericks on a 08 mac my plugs are finally making use of my memory only thing i would upgrade to is 2011 or 2012 mac for speed but other than that runs perfect very happy with HDN rock solid!