Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Enquiry about M-audio Keystation

Im looking at getting the M-audio pro tools recording studio with the fast track USB audio interface, but I dont like that it comes with the M-powered 'ESSENTIAL' version of PT. A friend leant me pro tools m-powered (7.4 I think) to try out the software and see if it works with my m-audio keystation 61es BEFORE I spend money on the recording studio.
I have a fast computer with Windows 7 on it, and when I try to open the software it says 'unable to locate m-audio hardware'. Is a m-audio keystation 61es not the right kind of m-audio hardware to get the software to work?
I dont really want to use any hardware to put music into the software at this stage, I just wanted to be able to try out the Pro tools software before I spend any money myself on buying it.
Can any please advise my options for this?
Also, I live in New Zealand so there are not very many options here in regards to buying Digidesign or m-audio products, they're really expensive here
Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Enquiry about M-audio Keystation

I think that Pro Tools M-Powered looks for a M-Audio interface like a Fast Track or Fast Track Pro, Ultra or whateverwhoneedsdetails.

Essential is really a severely crippled version of the the full product. Quite a few features that work on the full version don't work on Essential.

What I'd suggest is finding a dealer with a return policy. Buy the interface. Try out Essential. If you like it, you can upgrade to the full product. If you don't like it, well, honestly the M-Audio Fast Track Pro is the only dual XLR/TRS interface I can find here in the US that has a S/PDIF input and output and doesn't cost over $200 US. I use the S/PDIF input with my Line 6 POD HD500, and use one of the front inputs for a clean guitar signal in case I need to reamp the session. So I really do need more than two inputs.

However Pro Tools 9 does not require a specific interface. I don't know if there is a demo you can download to try it. But does it require an interface be present to function? I don't know. I've never tried it. I'm still running PT 8.0.4 cs2 M-Powered and Presonus Studio One Pro on Windows XP -- computer details in my signature. I find Studio One Pro more VI friendly.

But I will say this. No matter what DAW you go with, try them first with the M-Audio driver you currently have on your system for your keystation. Only update your driver if it doesn't work with the old driver. I learned this the hard way. With computers it's "if it isn't broken don't fix it."

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)