Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2013, 03:30 PM

Default Final Cut EDL to Pro tools Help

Hi Guys, I thought I would ask for some help from the experts on this one...I am getting ready to edit a short film from an editor that uses Final Cut Pro. I am used to getting AAF's and OMF's from clients, but this editor insists on giving me an EDL list. Now I have heard of this and know some facilities use an EDL as deliverables to the post houses, but My question is, how would I use one to import my Sync audio into a Pro Tools 10 session and import the Quicktime Video and have everything line up the same as an OMF would? I am sorry if this is an easy task, but I have never had to deal with this before. Any help on the process would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Sounds In Sync

Default Re: Final Cut EDL to Pro tools Help

To conform/assemble your location location WAV files using an audio EDL you can use EdiLoad to convert the EDL into a PT session containing "conform reference tracks". Open this session in Pro Tools, load your location files into the clip list or point the "Select Areas to Search" to your location files. Then use the PT expand tracks feature to "expand" the conform reference tracks or clips to conform your location files.

Using this system you can conform poly files without needing to split to mono if you're using PT10+.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Final Cut EDL to Pro tools Help

While I'm certain that Sound In Sync's product is outstanding (in fact I'm considering purchasing their package deal now) tell your editor to export a reference AAF using the freely available Automatic Duck. Then you can use the same expand tracks functionality in PT to get back to your production polywave files.

Chris