Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Default Issue with Track Counts

I am using PT 2019.6 on Windows 10 and have moved a project between 2 Windows systems for editing (both are 2019.6 / Win 10). The total track count is 147 mono audio tracks @96k. The final count that I am using is 64 mono tracks. The remainder of the tracks are inactive and hidden. These hidden tracks are original tracks. They are there in case I need to get back to the original where that track was edited or auto tuned, etc. The session has 10 additional tracks. All 10 are either Aux or Master faders with 1 Aux having Click II on it.

I edited these tracks using a PT Ultimate iLok. The final 64 were brought back to a system that had an iLok with a regular PT license. I got the error that I had exceeded the track count. I have had this happen before, however this time it said the following tracks will be Deleted and showed a list of these tracks. When this has happened before they were made Inactive, not Deleted.

I opened the session and they were deleted. I did not save as to preserve the session. Re-opened with the Ultimate iLok and all was fine.

What is the deal with deleting the tracks? And, the count was 64. I thought 64 was the max 96K when not using Ultimate and 128 with Ultimate. Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Issue with Track Counts

I just re checked the session and I think I am looking at something incorrectly. The tracks that are being deleted totals 19 tracks, which the total of 147 is 19 above the 128 limit. So am I correct in assuming that the actual track limit is 128 and at 96K only 64 can be played back thus the reduced voice count. Yet the actual total tracks regardless of sample rate can only be a max 128 for PT regular. Is this the right way to look at the track counts/voices? And, if this is the case, it looks as if would be best to use a playlist to keep the original track intact rather than duplicating the track, correct?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 AM

Hi Trackone

Just checked this myself as I've been needing a higher than average track count on my current project.

I'm getting the full new voice count of 384 at 48K and 192 at 96K. This is with PT-Ultimate 2019.6 software only though. My understanding is that the new higher voice counts have not been rolled out to HDX systems as yet.

Are you using HDX? If so maybe try the same session on software only. Or maybe there's actually an issue with switching between systems. I hope not because that could be a real headache.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:19 AM

As regards the deleting (rather than making inactive) of unassignable voices. That is strange. I'll test the a high voice project on a single card HDX and see if I get the same result.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 AM

Patrick,

I do not have HDX. I was using both systems with a third party interface. I started on PT standard and then moved to Pro Tools Ultimate. We had a lot of tracks on the standard system, but all was good. On the Ultimate system I duplicated quite a few tracks that we were using Beat Detective and Elastic Audio. I always do this so I can get back to the original tracks if I need to. After the editing we moved back to the standard system. This is where I ran into the problem after the duplicated tracks. I realized I actually had more than 128 on the regular system.

I tested again on the standard system by changing iLoks. The PT program itself is the same for both versions. Just change the iLok and what runs is based on the licenses from the iLok. When I insert the standard iLok it wants to delete tracks over 128. When I plug in the Ultimate iLok it runs fines.

My real question is the maximum limit 128 actual tracks? Meaning that you cannot have more than 128 period. It is deleting the the tracks over the 128 upon opening the project. I have had tracks over what the voice count would play when using a high sampling rate. There was less than 128 but more than 64. Here the extra tracks over 64 were disabled. I would assume that over the 128 they would be disabled, but they are being deleted.