Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Who invented the dynamic EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Exactly what is was getting at. Without knowing what plugins or hardware paul m is using or had used it's impossible to see where he got his ideas on dynamic eq's. He may be right and I may be wrong but I/we would benefit from seeing what he's used. No ding meany against paulo at all.

As far as the difference between a dynamic eq and multiband compression to me it seems to stem from how one picks a frequency: you pick a center frequency and a Q factor in a dynamic eq and in multiband compressor you pick an upper and lower boundary and a slope. I'm referencing Fabfilter Pro Q3 and their multiband compressor here. There's been a whole lot of bits/bytes spilled over the differences between the two type of plugins here and elsewheres on the net.
OK, I´m not upset with anything, it´s just I don´t have too much to add to the thread (let alone the fact that I don´t know who invented dyn EQ) and then you start asking which compressors I have used in the past!? Also, English is not my native language either.

So you probably meant dynamic EQ´s, so here it goes:the dynamic EQ´s I worked with, were the one that makes part of Izotope Final Mix, the one in Ozone 8 and more recently, Fabfilter Pro Q3, which, by the way, is not a multiband compressor, like you said above (by mistake I believe).

The differences you point between the two processor types are true and there´s a narrow line between the implementation of a multiband compressor and a dynamic EQ. Also the slopes, while variable in a multiband compressor, are static, compared to a dynamic EQ. Another thing is that some dynamic EQ´s have their Q in a variable form, depending on the input gain, once it passes the threshold.
But technically and to my ears, I find the way a compressor works in reducing or expanding gain, even if multiband, is different from dynamic EQ´s and the applications are different too, although that depends on the user perspective of course.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 11-05-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
But technically and to my ears, I find the way a compressor works in reducing or expanding gain, even if multiband, is different from dynamic EQ´s and the applications are different too, although that depends on the user perspective of course.
That's true, I suppose it's because of the artifacts inherent to the multiband circuit. The dynamic EQ is transparent when idle while multiband compressors change the sound even when there's no gain reduction although I don't know if this happens to linear phase multiband too.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
That's true, I suppose it's because of the artifacts inherent to the multiband circuit. The dynamic EQ is transparent when idle while multiband compressors change the sound even when there's no gain reduction although I don't know if this happens to linear phase multiband too.
I think it all depends on what you want to do and your approach. I have to say that I work mostly in post, so for music mixing or mastering, probably there will be different uses. I don´t use multiband compression that much for correction, but more for creative sculpting of sounds.
Never did any comparison with minimum phase or linear phase multiband compressors. Even for de-essing, I use mainly spectral de-essing on Izotope´s RX, I find it more natural to my ears. In my early days, when working with hardware, I used to split the signal so that one leg would feed an EQ, from there to the compressor side chain and the other leg to the compressor main input. That was de-essing and other creative utilities, depending on the EQ settings, but I´m glad I can do it withing one plugin now.
When using dynamic EQ, I like to key it from another source too, it adds another element that can work well. For instance, to balance instruments or voice vs music that are sharing/competing for the same space in the mix. I use to do that with multiband compressors, but I prefer dynamic EQ´s more now. I always did like compression, but since loudness rules came into effect around the world, I tend to use it more for creative purposes and mix more dinamically. It sounds better in my opinion.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 11-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
OK, I´m not upset with anything, it´s just I don´t have too much to add to the thread (let alone the fact that I don´t know who invented dyn EQ) and then you start asking which compressors I have used in the past!? Also, English is not my native language either.

So you probably meant dynamic EQ´s, so here it goes:the dynamic EQ´s I worked with, were the one that makes part of Izotope Final Mix, the one in Ozone 8 and more recently, Fabfilter Pro Q3, which, by the way, is not a multiband compressor, like you said above (by mistake I believe).

The differences you point between the two processor types are true and there´s a narrow line between the implementation of a multiband compressor and a dynamic EQ. Also the slopes, while variable in a multiband compressor, are static, compared to a dynamic EQ. Another thing is that some dynamic EQ´s have their Q in a variable form, depending on the input gain, once it passes the threshold.
I never said the Pro Q3 was a multiband compressor. I just said that I was referencing the two Fabfilter plugins in my writing. The slopes in a dynamic eq are static just like in a multiband compressor unless you're talking about something where the Q is changed depending on how much gain you put in or take out for a particular setting. Technically the word 'slope' is not referenced in any eq but rather Q - the two terms are similar in effect. Slope is mentioned in a multiband compressor but you never see Q mentioned in one.

One's native language doesn't really enter into the conversation but technical understanding does.

QAPLA!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I never said the Pro Q3 was a multiband compressor. I just said that I was referencing the two Fabfilter plugins in my writing.
Indeed, in fact you didn´t when you said "I'm referencing Fabfilter Pro Q3 and their multiband compressor here". Since you only named the product name of the dynamic EQ and not the compressor one, I didn´t get it the first time I´ve read it, my apologies.

Quote:
One's native language doesn't really enter into the conversation but technical understanding does.
Well, according to my personal technical understanding on the subject, I don´t really think I can add any more to this thread.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3