Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 06:53 AM

Default Metrting outputs in D-command

I've connected my 192 analog outputs to "Surround inputs" in X-Mon and DA coverters (comming from DMU) to "Main inputs" on X-Mon. Then I've set up main metering (center metering) in D-Command to "output", not in track mode.
And the problem is I can only see metering when in surround and not in main.
I tried swaping inputs and still the alt surr works and the main doesn't.
Any clue? thanks

Tauro Digital Sound
Sound for Film

www.taurodigital.com
Old 01-22-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Metrting outputs in D-command

>I've connected my 192 analog outputs to "Surround inputs" in X-Mon and DA coverters (comming from DMU) to "Main inputs" on X-Mon.<

I wouldn't wire it that way. The DMU should be on an insert on the main 5.1 output fader. I would connect the analog outputs of the 192 to the Main Input of the X-Mon. That way you have normal function whether you use the DMU or not. I would then connect the DMU to the digital I/O of the 192 (staying in the digital domain). Now, while you're mixing, you can put the DMU on the Master Fader as a hardware insert when you need to. That way, you'll be able to use all of it's functions in the normal way. When it's inserted and getting signal, you can then patch the Lt-Rt output (7&8) to a record track and be able to record that at the same time you lay down the 5.1. Then, if you wire the 192 analog outs 7&8 to one of the Stereo Inputs, you'll able to feed the Lt-Rt to the Mini Speaker output for a TV or other alternate system. You will then be able to use the Surround Input to monitor back from a multi-channel tape format, another system, or whatever your delivery format might be.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:16 PM

I considered that wiring but I have a problem with EX. I enter DMU in EXP3 (EX Pan 3), then set to External EX decoding because I use CP65's (only allows 5.1 as well as Xmon with D-command) digital inputs (well, really analog but called Digital). After this I decode surround with an SDU4 then to 4 EQ and to 4 amp channel. CP65 is only used for its EQs now, it used to be volume master and LTRT and SR decoding but not any more.
With your wiring I should change DMU to EXP2 and loose precision in surround pannings, right? Have you experienced EXP2 and EXP3 and noted significant difference?
I don't really know what's better...
Anyway still have my metering problem with Main inputs... and my local Digi Dealer doesn't know how to help on this.

Tauro Digital Sound
Sound for Film

www.taurodigital.com
Old 01-23-2006, 02:18 PM

>With your wiring I should change DMU to EXP2 and loose precision in surround pannings, right? Have you experienced EXP2 and EXP3 and noted significant difference?<

Phantom center for the surrounds isn't horrible, but you might not have a choice here. You're in a little bit if a pickle because the D-Command can only output up to 5.1. You might have to set up some addition surround paths to combine the Surround LCR into stereo before it leaves the D-Command. Let me think about this and ask around a little.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:38 PM

I'm still checking, but you might be able to get 6.1 out of the D-Command. Try this. Patch the output of the 192 in to the XMon's Main Input so you have the standard set up. Change your 6.1 output path to this, 1 thru 7, LCR Front/LCR Rear, and a separate mono path for the LFE out 7. Let me know if you see LCR/LCR/LFE metering on the D-Command with this set up.