Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2001, 02:08 PM

Default Windows XP

Does anyone know when Pro Tools Free will be available for Windows XP? Or has anyone got theirs to work on XP? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] null[email protected]
Old 12-04-2001, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Windows XP

I have heard from this moron that works on the tascam bbs that he got it to work. When I try to install it from a downloaded file, it tell's me I need windows 98 or higher?????????????? I haven't tried to load it of a mailed cd yet. Maybe thats why his worked, maybe not. Please resond digidesign, thanks.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:33 PM

Just in reference to the mail CD version of PTF. It's what I used and it includes a whole bunch of plug-ins that the d/l version doesn't. It only cost 9.95 and arrived in two days after I ordered it.

daryl bowden
Old 12-06-2001, 08:31 PM

Well degidesign, is anybody home? This is a bump
Old 12-07-2001, 09:10 AM

I installed PTFree on Windows XP like this. I highlighted the installation file. (*.exe) and then right clicked on it. It comes up with a menu. Scroll down to properties and click. Click on the tab called "Compatibility". Here, you can set the OS to run a particular program in a compatible mode. I set it to Windows 98. I ran the installation and after I rebooted and everything, i did the same thing to the Pro Tools Program file. I set it up to run in Windows 98 compatible mode. I can now open it, but I get a DAE -1113 error. I think it is because of this onboard sound card on this motherboard. It is an ECS K7S5A. Not my home system, because I wanted to check out Pro Tools Compatibility before I take the plunge on MY computer. I think, however, that the only way to know will be to try to install on a system that I know worked with Windows 98. Sometime in the next week, I may try putting Windows XP on a new hard drive in my computer and see if I can get Pro Tools to run on it.
If anyone has any suggestions, please post. I know a lot of people want to know about Windows Xp compatibility.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2001, 10:16 AM
Avid

Thanks for your interest.

Unfortunately, there are no immediate plans to release an XP version of Pro Tools free. It's a possibility in the future, but there is no current release date.

DigiCS
Old 12-28-2001, 12:06 AM

Digidesign, get with the program! Requiring that users with PTLE or PTFree use older, less reliable OS's is not a good practice. While we are stuck using these older OS's and there is no apperent foreseeable solution for support for the NT kernel from Digi, MS is ceasing support for these old OS's. Win 95 will no longer be supported by MS as of Dec 31, 2001 with Win98 and Win Me not far behind. In the meantime, I've noticed that PT has caused MANY systems to crash because of the unstability of the Win98/Me OS. Do you only support the NT kernel for your expensive systems to force your customers to spend $10000 or more just for compatability? Now that people are migrating to Win XP, Win 98/Me are getting left behind by more powerful and more stable OS's, and with them, programs that only support Win 98/Me are being outdated as well. It doesn't make any logical sense that you STILL do not offer support.
You have the ability to make PT (LE and Free) compatible (at least with Win 2000)-- why don't you make your customers happy? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Peace

BaRaq'
Old 12-29-2001, 03:35 PM

I use Pro Tools Free all the time on my Win Me computer and have no problems. I have SBLive! Value sound card and I never have any problems. To record drums I use PC Drummer and have it running while PTF is recording and it doesn't crash. The download version of PTF I use has a lot of plugins, several delays, eq's, compressor, and some others. It also has a lot of non real time plugins. I don't plan on buying the Digi 001 system because of the cost, I plan on getting M-Audio's Omni Studio.

geetarbill
Old 01-03-2002, 05:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy Overstreet:
Does anyone know when Pro Tools Free will be available for Windows XP? Or has anyone got theirs to work on XP? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] null[email protected]

Hi Tommy,

It isn't working with my windows XP machine either. Also trying to install PTF under the windows 98/me shell leads to abortion during installation process.
I hope that digidesign is able to tell us when the XP version becomes available.

BR. Leo van der Linden