Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 AM
pezking pezking is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 266
Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

So you think the HD Native card is vastly different to a TDM card in its design? So different that if Avid wanted to, they could not implement a software mixer using TDM cards? I find that hard to believe, and in fact would go so far as to say it's rubbish...

You can use your 192 + HD Core card as an interface for third party DAWs, so there is no reason whatsoever that, if Avid wanted to, they could run Pro Tools Native using the TDM card as the interface.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Dism Dism is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,154
Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
So you think the HD Native card is vastly different to a TDM card in its design? So different that if Avid wanted to, they could not implement a software mixer using TDM cards? I find that hard to believe, and in fact would go so far as to say it's rubbish...

You can use your 192 + HD Core card as an interface for third party DAWs, so there is no reason whatsoever that, if Avid wanted to, they could run Pro Tools Native using the TDM card as the interface.
But why would you want to...?

TDM does more than Native.

It doesn't look like it now... because the current line of TDM cards are vastly underpowered compared to current native processing, but when the new TDM cards come out, it will all make sense.

There will be no reason to run Native on a TDM card.
__________________

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 AM
pezking pezking is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 266
Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Like I said, I know the relative merits of TDM and Native.

I don't want to do it! But it would be better for users of say HD1, who feel that now Native would be more powerful; if they could run Native on their existing hardware.

Like I said, you've missed the point of my post all along! :)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Dism Dism is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,154
Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
Like I said, I know the relative merits of TDM and Native.

I don't want to do it! But it would be better for users of say HD1, who feel that now Native would be more powerful; if they could run Native on their existing hardware.

Like I said, you've missed the point of my post all along! :)
I really haven't missed the point... I understand your point. All I'm saying is that it's never going to happen.

Avid created HD|N to be an entirely separate solution from TDM. HD1 looks underpowered now only because of timing. Come another month or two... the tables will turn.
__________________

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 AM
studiojimi's Avatar
studiojimi studiojimi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,115
Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
But why would you want to...?

TDM does more than Native.

It doesn't look like it now... because the current line of TDM cards are vastly underpowered compared to current native processing, but when the new TDM cards come out, it will all make sense.

There will be no reason to run Native on a TDM card.
the day that happens
i will remove "hold fast baby hold fast" from my sig line.
(at least for a day LOL)
__________________
CAZADOR RECORDING
PT10.3.10/HD6/192w16in/MTN.LION OS 10.8.5 / Westmere MacPro 8 Core W/20gRAM MAGMA-PE6R4/TDM&RTAS/WAVES Platinum/UA/Eventide Plugs/I usually record at 88.2
With GOD as my partner. . . I need to make my plans LARGER.

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 PM
DigiTechSupt's Avatar
DigiTechSupt DigiTechSupt is offline
Avid
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 33,623
Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
Like I said, I know the relative merits of TDM and Native.

I don't want to do it! But it would be better for users of say HD1, who feel that now Native would be more powerful; if they could run Native on their existing hardware.

Like I said, you've missed the point of my post all along! :)
Let's clear up a few things about all of this.

The Pro Tools version that runs with Native is *exactly* the same as the HD version in functionality. The only difference being Native cannot run TDM plug-ins and HD is a tad bit faster as far as monitoring latencies go - and you can run TDM plug-ins with near-zero latency.

HD systems are extremely unlikely to ever run the mixer on the CPU. The round trip latencies for doing so would completely dissolve any of the benefits of the near-zero latency monitoring capabilities of HD.
__________________
Avid Audio Tech Support
Help us help you - read this before posting
Support FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Firechild Firechild is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 805
Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Native means processing on the native CPU so, it would be easy to make the HD core card as a native input I/O card. We have already that feature with the core driver but it is limited to 8 I/O.

If you say that your PT HD Native card is handling the mix engine too, you are using the word "Native" in completely the wrong way.Totally wrong.

I wouldn´t be surprised if the new HD Core TDM card looks pretty similar to the native card. I guess the native card is a crippled HD Core card based on the HUGE heat sink.

Can someone remove the heatsink and check which SHARC CPU there is?
__________________
HD3 PCIe, HD I/O , HD10.3.10, Mac Pro 6 core , 24 GB RAM , GTX285 , 10.8.5 , UAD-2 Quad Satellite , ATC SCM25A Pro with ADAM Sub 12.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM
DigiTechSupt's Avatar
DigiTechSupt DigiTechSupt is offline
Avid
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 33,623
Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Native means processing on the native CPU so, it would be easy to make the HD core card as a native input I/O card. We have already that feature with the core driver but it is limited to 8 I/O.
No, it's NOT easy. There are huge differences between getting 8 channels from a Core Audio driver and having a full-fledged, low latency system that can use TDM plug-ins.

Quote:
If you say that your PT HD Native card is handling the mix engine too, you are using the word "Native" in completely the wrong way.Totally wrong.
I didn't say that. I said the CPU ran the mixer.

Quote:
I wouldn´t be surprised if the new HD Core TDM card looks pretty similar to the native card. I guess the native card is a crippled HD Core card based on the HUGE heat sink.
The Native card bears almost zero resemblance to an HD Core card - it's a completely different design.
__________________
Avid Audio Tech Support
Help us help you - read this before posting
Support FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
ekuehnl's Avatar
ekuehnl ekuehnl is offline
ACI/ALP Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 665
Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post

Can someone remove the heatsink and check which SHARC CPU there is?
It's not a SHARC. It's an FPGA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-p...ble_gate_array
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Mac Pro for HD Native? 2008 8 Core or 2009 Quad Core? sws2h Pro Tools 10 6 11-03-2011 03:23 PM
What is the thermal output/heat load of HD core cards and process cards? yosemitesam Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 10-24-2011 02:39 PM
prottols core cards mix core to hd pci to hd pcix to hd pce Filmusic Windows 1 03-24-2011 04:24 PM
Mac Pro Dual Quad core compatable with HD pci core & accell cards? PT8716 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 3 06-28-2010 07:35 AM
HELP!!! running 2 core cards on mix sys & lights on cards??? HELP!!! A Spooner Tips & Tricks 6 07-08-2009 06:55 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com