How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Question Best way to use VI Drums eg SSD4, Superior Drummer

I started off years ago using Superior Drummer recording midi then I would route the drums to seperate tracks record it then eq, comp etc to my taste. Im now using Steven Slate Drums 4 because I just love the drum sounds I'm just courious how everyone is doing this.

I started thinking about changing my work because I've encounted a pain in the butt when it comes to mixing

With my previouse method record each drum to its own track then edit, sometimes I've found a drum didn't sound right, Hi-Hat is too high in the overheads which would then result in going back into SSD4 messing sound to get it right then rerecording the problem track again.

But I've come to the conclusion I might just route all the seperate drums to their own Aux's instead of audio tracks so the audio comes from SSD4 through the Aux's and I can edit, eq comp from there. (hope I'm making sense) This way I could hear the changes as I do them in SSD4 without committing it to a track. I'm thinking this would speed up my work flow

I'm wondering how everybody else is using these VI all suggestion would be much appreciated

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis