Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 06-25-2002, 06:34 PM

Default SCSI vs Firewire

I'm about to purchase a external hard drive for recording. I don't know much about the differences in performance of SCSI drives vs Firewire drives. So does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

G4 733 running 9.2.2

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:01 AM

Default Re: SCSI vs Firewire

i'm using 2 80 gig firewire drives

one to record the other to back up on thru usb

i hooked it straight up in the place where the system drive was and moved the system drive and velcroved it up to and above the superdvd/burner

i'm thru with scsi unless this prooves to be the wrong way to go but so far my HD III sytem has power to spare until i push the threshold to the unknown.

Old 07-01-2002, 10:46 PM

Firewire is neat. but SCSI will outperform it. It just depends on your needs. If you onl need 24 tracks w/ low edit density, then firewire will work just fine. If you need heavy edit density/high track count, then SCSI will give you what you need to a point, but usually about 40 tracks off a drive w/ serious edit density. If you need more than that, then you'll need 2 or more drives, or a Fibre system (expensive). hope this helps-
Todd A.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:24 PM

qubesound,
i work in audio post as a sfx editor.
i sometimes have all 64 tracks pumping, with insane volume, and quicktime going too.
i use a g4 867 with ide and firewire drives.
unless money is something you need to spend for tax writeoffs, i heartily suggest firewire!
but be careful, get redundant drives, as the drives get bigger, it's really the only way to back things up.
good luck.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:44 AM

unless money is something you need to spend for tax writeoffs, i heartily suggest firewire! <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

let's not forget the ability to put in another HD farm too with the added unused scsi slot
HD4!

Old 07-14-2002, 09:52 PM

funny, I was just wondering the same thing myself. A new aquaintance said that I could use firewire instead of the ATTO scsi method.

So I what I want to know is this...

What about Firewire raid systems? These are so cheap and that new Cremax SoHo Raid solution looks really slick. I could buy two and use one for quick backups and still have enough money left for lunch.

Is anyone using a firewire raid system and if so what have your experiences been?

Your time is appreciated.