Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-19-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Xpand!2 weird levels issue...

Not sure what is going on here or whether it is operator error or what.

I have 4 instrument tracks, each track has the Xpand!2 (mono) loaded in the first insert slot on each track. The first track (2) has 2 patches loaded in A and B, the next three tracks (3, 4, 5) have the 1 same patch loaded in A but set at different pitches. Apart from that and except the pan positions everything else including all the levels in Xpand!2 are the same.

The problem I am getting is the levels drop off from left to right as shown in the attached image. I have solo’d the tracks I’m concerned with.

The tracks themselves were created using the pencil tool, once I created the first track, I copied (not duplicated) and paste creating the three violin tracks in order from left to right. The notes appear to have been all copied correctly including the velocity lanes and are all at the same levels in each track.

The only thing I can think of possibly is maybe I need to allocate separate midi tracks/Channels? Although I didn’t use a midi controller to create the clip as I said I used the pencil tool and then loaded Xpand!2 in the first insert slots of each channel to paint whatever sound (in this case the synth and violin patches) onto the clips I created.... as the image shows for some reason the levels have dropped off with each instance of Xpand!2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5F53F167-2086-4A83-9AD9-CA054D3DA8A8.jpg (91.8 KB, 0 views)
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 09-19-2018, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Xpand!2 weird levels issue...

I'll bet the problem is staring you in the face. Check MIDI volume on the track (be sure to show that and look for accidental automation) or just the plugin level adjustments. Try running them at the same pitch... are they then equal output? Does moving the pitch change the output?

If the notes are still all the same, try deleting two of them and duplicating the original (not sure why you would cut and past vs. duplicate, seems a easier process).

And often a great way of trouble VI stuff is swap out the plugin for something stupidly simple like Mini Grand.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:24 PM

Hi Darryl,

thanks for replying.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'll bet the problem is staring you in the face. Check MIDI volume on the track (be sure to show that and look for accidental automation) or just the plugin level adjustments. Try running them at the same pitch... are they then equal output? Does moving the pitch change the output?
I bet it is..... already checked the rest of that before I posted

Quote:
the notes are still all the same, try deleting two of them and duplicating the original (not sure why you would cut and past vs. duplicate, seems a easier process).
Yup tried that...... I copy and paste because all I wanted was the clip and its midi trigger information..... duplicating seems to me well my experience at least if you edit one you edit all the duplicates.... anyways there is prolly another way around but im not here for info on how to copy tracks

Quote:
often a great way of trouble VI stuff is swap out the plugin for something stupidly simple like Mini Grand.
have another track with Mini Grand with no issues....

thanks for your input
Old 09-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Yup tried that...... I copy and paste because all I wanted was the clip and its midi trigger information..... duplicating seems to me well my experience at least if you edit one you edit all the duplicates....
That's *not* how duplicate works.

Quote:
... but im not here for info on how to copy tracks
Uh maybe you should be... duplicate will reduce the chance of finger problems causing issues (e.g. accidental keyboard shortcuts inserting volume automation... and exactly that has tripped up folks here before.).

All you need to solve this is right in front of you, it's either MIDI volume, velocity, level settings on the plugins or whatever you are doing to pitch shift stuff affecting the output levels. Or something just screwed up... try recreating in a new empty session.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:40 PM

yup right thanks for your help Darryl

Any other ideas anyone?

Last edited by xrekcor; 09-19-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post

The tracks themselves were created using the pencil tool, once I created the first track, I copied (not duplicated) and paste creating the three violin tracks in order from left to right. The notes appear to have been all copied correctly including the velocity lanes and are all at the same levels in each track.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you essentially are playing the same MIDI part you created with the pencil tool on the first track in the other three. I'm not sure why you didn't just duplicate the the track to ensure all would be the same. Whenever I create a MIDI part, whether played in off my MIDI controller or I draw in the part, as you did, and I'm going to use that same part on other instrument tracks, I use duplicate track, then just change whatever I want to change on the VI itself on the duplicated track. That ensures I have everything exactly the same, which is clearly not the case here.

I think Darryl is right the solution is probably staring you in the face.