Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Just guessing Avid is too big for Hollywood to go under
Just guessing Avid is too big for living only with Hollywood
Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Come On 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
Just guessing Avid is too big for living only with Hollywood
Avid video is used everywhere, that part supports most of the company. We are talking about PT here. Hollywood will support Avid as much as it takes to keep PT going
Old 03-24-2020, 09:29 AM

I'm constantly surprised by the pushback on the subscription model here on the DUC, and I'm guessing it's because there's a fair number of amateur users who can't/don't deduct the subscription fee as a business expense.

Adobe moved to full subscription years ago and people were angry - myself included, because I was a casual user of Photoshop and Illustrator, and had paid for the program and upgrades, and neither version of CS5 no longer worked in Mojave. At work, they were happy to buy a year's subscription and write it off for me, and for a consulting project, I rented it for a month.

If you don't like Pro Tools and their economic model, that's fine - you're free to purchase Logic for 1 price forever and go from there. I guess the rest of the working world has gotten used to the fact that Pro Tools subscriptions are a business expense and need to be treated as such in budgeting for any company/studio.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 03-24-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
The difference is historically Avid was incentivized to release new software with new features in order to trigger a payment. Now they aren’t and it shows.
I would disagree. Now they can run development at a more consistent level since they have a measurable revenue stream from subscription users. Features can now roll out in smaller increments with fewer conflicts and bugs (in theory at least). Granted, you won't have the big (ala PT4 to PT5.1 or PT9 to 10) releases, but as a daily user, I MUCH prefer more releases with fewer features in each, since I can jump on board much quicker and worry free. All IMO of course. Everyone's experience is different.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 03-24-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I would disagree. Now they can run development at a more consistent level since they have a measurable revenue stream from subscription users. Features can now roll out in smaller increments with fewer conflicts and bugs (in theory at least). Granted, you won't have the big (ala PT4 to PT5.1 or PT9 to 10) releases, but as a daily user, I MUCH prefer more releases with fewer features in each, since I can jump on board much quicker and worry free. All IMO of course. Everyone's experience is different.
Of course, that's the theory and how Avid has advertised this model at the beginning to sway users and soften the blow. And I'm with you, as I guess most would be. That would be a good deal, everybody happy, rainbows, unicorns, etc.
Just do a reality check and you'll notice this was a scam.
"More releases"? More than what? Solar eclipses?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Just do a reality check and you'll notice this was a scam.
As I said. Everyone has their own perspective. I am happy with the rate of releases. Granted, I'm not longing for any particular features either. The software works well for what I'm doing.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 03-24-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Haha.

Seriously, last year really must be given a pass because of the HDX voice upgrade fiasco. Still, 2019 saw 4 releases.

2018 saw 5 releases and 2017 saw 7 releases. 2016 maybe five, not sure about that. 2015 same thing, maybe five releases.

That is the history since PT12.

Compare to 10 years ago when 2010 saw two releases (PT8.1 and PT9) or three if you count the under the counter PT8.5 that was delivered with HDN just before PT9 launch. Or zero feature releases of 2009, only PT8.0.x bugfix releases which do not really count. Or one release of 2008 (PT8.0). Or one release of 2007 (PT7.4). In 2006 there was two releases (PT7.2 and PT7.3) but PT7.3 is practically PT7.2 with Universal Binaries due to Apple's change from PPC to Intel. In 2005 again only one release (PT7.0) and everything before that is so prehistoric nobody really cares.

So the last five years have seen 5 releases on average while 15 years ago releases were fewer. I'm sure you don't want to go back to PT6 era when Pro Tools was transitioning from OS9 to OSX. At that time there were A LOT of releases for compatibility.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
I'm constantly surprised by the pushback on the subscription model here on the DUC, and I'm guessing it's because there's a fair number of amateur users who can't/don't deduct the subscription fee as a business expense.

Adobe moved to full subscription years ago and people were angry - myself included, because I was a casual user of Photoshop and Illustrator, and had paid for the program and upgrades, and neither version of CS5 no longer worked in Mojave. At work, they were happy to buy a year's subscription and write it off for me, and for a consulting project, I rented it for a month.

If you don't like Pro Tools and their economic model, that's fine - you're free to purchase Logic for 1 price forever and go from there. I guess the rest of the working world has gotten used to the fact that Pro Tools subscriptions are a business expense and need to be treated as such in budgeting for any company/studio.
That is an important point, it is true.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-24-2020, 01:48 PM

To me, its like sitting around complaining cause your hammer doesn't have new features, while theres 3 roofing jobs sitting there.....get to work, with whatever tool works....if you cant mix or create music with protools, as it is NOW, you have zero creativity, and should go into a different field, like road paving, although then someone would complain about the paving machine upgrades...
Old 03-24-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
To me, its like sitting around complaining cause your hammer doesn't have new features, while theres 3 roofing jobs sitting there.....get to work, with whatever tool works....if you cant mix or create music with protools, as it is NOW, you have zero creativity, and should go into a different field, like road paving, although then someone would complain about the paving machine upgrades...
I hope one day I find clients like you, who are willing to pay money for nothing. Please procreate.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock