Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 AM

Default PC Case Buzzing

I've got a general question about PC noises. Most specifically, cage rattling or buzzing. I've set and re-set the various chassis fans to no avail. It seems like the most effective method is a bit of a whack against the front grill. Not a good solution, and one that doesn't last long. I obviously chose the wrong box to do my build with.

My question for now is this. What do some of you folks do about a noisy computer in your small home project type studios? Is there any sort of box or other enclosure that folks use? Do you place your machine in an alternative location or place audio foam around it at all?

If nothing will work, I suppose getting a for real audio rack sized box is in order. I did pay good money for "quiet" fans, but not enough attention to the case itself. (Corsair 400R)

(no need for a Sandra on this yet, but I'm running an I7 3930K on an ASUS X-79 MB fwiw)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:06 AM

Default Re: PC Case Buzzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I've got a general question about PC noises. Most specifically, cage rattling or buzzing. I've set and re-set the various chassis fans to no avail. It seems like the most effective method is a bit of a whack against the front grill. Not a good solution, and one that doesn't last long. I obviously chose the wrong box to do my build with.

My question for now is this. What do some of you folks do about a noisy computer in your small home project type studios? Is there any sort of box or other enclosure that folks use? Do you place your machine in an alternative location or place audio foam around it at all?

If nothing will work, I suppose getting a for real audio rack sized box is in order. I did pay good money for "quiet" fans, but not enough attention to the case itself. (Corsair 400R)

(no need for a Sandra on this yet, but I'm running an I7 3930K on an ASUS X-79 MB fwiw)
My first studio build back in 1993 I put my PC in an encloser that I built myself that worked fairly well. The only issue was with keeping the insides cool enough so that the PC didn't go into thermal runaway. It is doable but be aware of the inside temps of the box.

I now have a purpose built audio PC that I got from Sweetwater. It was pricey but it is also very very quiet. It still makes a little noise so I have it on a platform under the console to keep some of the little noise it does put out away from the mics that I use in the studio proper.

I would also like to say that Sweetwater tech support is top notch. The few issues I have had have been addressed straight away and solved very quickly (mostly software related, non hardware). You might want to call them and see if they will sell you one of their cases or find out where they get their cases from and then move all your parts to the new box. Just a thought.
Sweetwater CS400 Core i7 3.4Ghz 16GB RAM
Dual 24" Monitors
500GB System drive
2TB Audio Drive
1TB Sample drive
PTIEP AIR ver 2
EWQLSO Premium
Mackie 1640i Main Interface
Eleven Rack with ERXP Secondary Interface
Mackie HR824 MKII Monitors
Too many guitars to count
Too many amps as well

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 AM

You should be able to isolate specifically what is causing the rattling or buzzing. Try taking the main cover off and when the rattling starts, try (carefully) touching various fan housings, cpu cooler, HDDs, etc. to see if you can feel the source of the vibrations. If you don't hear the rattling with the cover off, then perhaps the cover itself is the problem. My Sweetwater Creation Station came with a piece of adhesive backed rubber membrane (like they use in the construction industry to waterproof window openings) attached to the inside of the main cover and it is very quiet. (Don't know the brand name of the case). I don't think I would put audio foam around the computer. That may restrict airflow and would be just covering up the problem. Do you have the rubber or plastic "feet" on the bottom of the case? Is it on a level surface? Try putting some small squares of packing styrofoam under the feet. I do this with my monitor speakers.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 AM

I use a coolermaster silencio case and a fsp aurum gold power supply.
It's pretty quiet. Not completly silent but it doesn't bother my while working. It's placed just under my desk.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 AM

I have one of these:
http://www.istarusa.com/istarusa/pro...STORM&Factor=4

Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
... What do some of you folks do about a noisy computer ... I did pay good money for "quiet" fans, but not enough attention to the case itself.
An upgraded case is not that expensive and a good solution. I've had good luck with my 4U rackmount Chenbro, but there are others. The internal mounting cages should have rubber grommets.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Hello. The case is not buzzing. Get an Antec power supply and a Cooler Master case.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 PM

Here is a site many forum members frequent for quiet PC components. You'll find some great resources there.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 PM

My first setup was all in one room. I built an over-sized box out of oak plywood with nice solid oak edges. I lined the box with Auralex Sheetblock(a heavy sound-proofing material, stuck to the plywood all around), then lined the sides and top with 2" foam(the box and foam were deeper than the tower by a good 10" at the back). With no doors on the front, and the back facing the wall, 6' from my desk, I tracked vocals right behind my chair all the time.

Now my computer is in an Antec P280 quiet case and I hear more from the desktop hard drive than from the tower

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-11-2014, 07:34 AM

By consensus, it appears that replacing the case is the best option. Thanks for the links. All helpful.

Thinking about it this morning, I think the thought by mjslakeridge should be explored. There could be a series of connections at work here, making what I think is the source not the source.

Here's a better description of the problem.
The front of the tower is metal with a bunch of little holes in it for air flow. The top 1/2 is where the power buttons, lights, optical drives and sound card front go. The bottom 1/2 is where the air flow holes are. I have two fans in that section for cooling. I get the buzzing/rattling after the tower powers up and the front fans come on.

To get rid of the offending noise, I can press gently against the aforementioned front lower grate and it will go away. Removing my hand, it comes back. I can also give it a good whap. Not good for the inner components I'm sure, but effective for a few minutes.

I took the grate and eventually the entire front panel off and put little rubber stoppers everywhere I could think of. Every place where metal touches metal. While it's reduced the problem, it is not gone.