Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 PM

Default Re: back to protools

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeball View Post
albee i pmed you privately guess you dont read them hahahhaha

can i still use my older pluggins with 10 and that interface? i was told by a rep at sweetwater that you cannot use the older rtas plggins with pt 10 is that true ? i still want to be able to use all my rtas pluggins with whatever new pt interface i use just not looking to spend alot of cash... thnks
PM'ing is hit or miss(sometimes I get them and sometimes I don't). As for old plugins, MOST are going to work fine in 10(11 will be AAX-only). Depending on what you have, you may need to update some(like AutoTune 3 won't work and Waves version 5 won't work). A handful of stock plugins have been updated and the old versions will be gone like EQ II and Dverb. Re interfaces, I am still partial to a used 003rack as a great bargain, but the 3rd generation Mboxes sound better(and will likely be a better deal for getting you hardware AND software).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 PM

thnks for all your time albee.. one more question how would the mbox 3 mini work out?

would that fall into the same specs as you mentioned before ..because it does offer pt 9 with a free upgrade to pt 10

just want to make sure i can use all my old rtas software

example d2/d3 ...reel tape all the old good ones all the old mcdsp pluggins
you know the deal thnks buddy
Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 PM

Be aware that the Mbox Mini and regular Mbox no longer come with a full version of Protools (or free upgrade to one). They come with Protools Express, and the upgrade from that to regular Protools is $399.

Only the Mbox Pro is still bundled with full Protools.

Having said that, there are some dealers that may still have the old ones in stock that did come with full Protools, but you might have to do some calling around.

As for your RTAS plugins, all of your Digi/Avid ones should work, you just need to download the latest versions/updates.

For 3rd party ones, as mentioned, some might work, and some might need to be upgraded to newer versions.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Again, only my 2 cents, but I prefer the workflow of the 003 as it doesn't require(or use) and routing/monitoring utility, or MIX knob for recording. I have developed habits and workflow based on certain hardware that just feels comfortable. I THINK(THINK being the operative word) that the Mbox Pro might be a different beast from the USB Mboxes, but I've never used one. Before you buy any Mbox, I would love for some Mbox users to chime in about how they like to work and how well(or not) they like working with their Mboxes so you can make an informed decision

Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM

The Mbox Pro can be used at a buffer of 64 (maybe 32 on a a Mac). Not sure about the ease of low latency monitoring.

The regular Mbox goes down to 64 on a Mac, but I think just 128 on Windows.

So in either case, if he has a Mac, he can simply set the buffer at 64 and be fine, assuming his computer can handle it.

However, one thing different about the Mbox Pro from the 003 is the second headphone jack. It can only be used as a separate mix using the low latency mixer software, whereas the 003 second headphone out simply steals outputs 3-4.

So someone using a 003 at a low buffer can send a mix with plugins to the second headphone jack, whereas with the Mbox pro, they can't, regardless of buffer setting. They must use the low latency mixer, and perhaps use the built in hardware DSP effects (which kind of sound like a sardine can).
Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM

looks like im gonna go with the digi 003 rack will that be ok ? and can i use it with pt 10 ..i am basically going to be using pt8 so i should be ok with that and all pluggins i hope hahah thnks guys
Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM

My 003 is working just fine with 10.3.4 and Win7 64.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The Mbox Pro can be used at a buffer of 64 (maybe 32 on a a Mac). Not sure about the ease of low latency monitoring.

The regular Mbox goes down to 64 on a Mac, but I think just 128 on Windows.

So in either case, if he has a Mac, he can simply set the buffer at 64 and be fine, assuming his computer can handle it.

However, one thing different about the Mbox Pro from the 003 is the second headphone jack. It can only be used as a separate mix using the low latency mixer software, whereas the 003 second headphone out simply steals outputs 3-4.

So someone using a 003 at a low buffer can send a mix with plugins to the second headphone jack, whereas with the Mbox pro, they can't, regardless of buffer setting. They must use the low latency mixer, and perhaps use the built in hardware DSP effects (which kind of sound like a sardine can).
Interesting. I skirt the issue entirely and use a headphone amp(Alesis MultiMix 6 Cue) http://www.alesis.com/multimix6cue . I feed it the main output of the 003 and then send(AUX send via analog outs) so each player can have "more me". All my recording is done at the 64 buffer and it works quite nicely(while I would prefer to give each player an independent mix, it would take too long to set everybody's mix). I think the 003r is decent enough, and adding better preamps and converters is easy with the digital IO