Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Default Moving from HD2 Accel to PT HD Native?

Hello, All..

I currently have the following system:

Mac G5 Pro 1.6 GHz
HD2 System

I just bought a new Mac 3.06 GHz, 32 GB Memory, Dual 6 Core (12 Core) machine. I am thinking of going with Protools HD Native so that I can run PT HD 11 and some sound libraries that are not supported on the older Mac I have (EastWest orchestra, etc.)

My question is pretty basic. Is the new HD Native card on my new machine capable of competing with my old PT TDM system based on the info above?

I would really like to hear from thos who are using HD Native to do larger projects. Specifically, I would like to hear about any latency issues, track counts and any issues maxing out your machine.

I have watched a number of YouTupe videos championing HD Native, but I want to hear from real useers doing real projects.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Moving from HD2 Accel to PT HD Native?

The only downside for me to moving to HD Native is having to punch into mixes that are pretty far along. I end up having to deactivate lots of plugs in order to get the latency down to a manageable amount.

PT11 (once all my mix plugs are AAX 64bit) will make this a non issue with offline bounce.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 AM

Well I've found HDN on a Westemere 8 core to be way more powerful than my G5 HD3 rig. WAaaaay more.

As mentioned if you're running a higher buffer eg with a really intensive mix, you will then have a higher latency if you want to suddenly overdub. There three quick solutions to that...

1. Use low latency monitoring. This relies on you not using plug ins on the recording track.

2. Use PT11. This reduces the buffer size on the recording track as low as it can go.

3. Print the mix, deactivate the tracks and do your overdub with the lowest buffer.

Looking forward PT11 handles this requirement very well. You have a MONSTER machine which will be very nearly as powerful as the new mac pro. PT11 will make great use of it. I'd crack on with HDN. If you subsequently find that you want more power, or even lower in out latency, you can look at upgrading it to HDX.

J
Old 09-23-2013, 05:28 AM

Went from an HD4 Accel system to HDN here.

I am also experiencing a lot more useable power.
Several huge sessions that would have to re-shuffle plugins don't on the new machine.
I have yet to have that happen.

Here at least, my biggest problem has been overdubbing or punching in large mixes.
(My first real experience with latency)
As we bus tracks to an aux, and then print to a stereo track, I have found if I deactivate any plugins on the master Aux, it works pretty well.

Your computer is a bit more powerful than mine.
You should be fine.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 AM

I've moved from an HD rig to HD Native and I've built my new template to include record stems that could be used for late in game overdubs. I've been recording (not complex sessions) with buffers of 64 (even 32) on my 2012 Mac Mini and not had any latency issues.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 09-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Tim, can you elaborate on how you set that up? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 AM

This session template is fairly new so it is still a work in progress. I have all my "Source" tracks (ie Drums, Bass, Guitars etc) routed to Subgroup busses. These busses go to Master Aux channels who's outputs are double bussed to both a "Master Mix Bus" AND "Stem Record busses". I have audio channels with the record busses (both the Master mix bus and stem busses) as inputs. My record pass puts down a stereo mix as well as these stems. In theory, I could print the stems, inactivate all my source tracks, leaving overdub tracks active, and feed a headphone mix from the stem channels/OD channels. Again, this is a new setup and I haven't actually even gone through this process yet.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 AM

This is what I was referencing above as well. Workflows like this, combined with PT11's offline bounce means punching into a mix at the last minute is no longer a big deal.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Ok, interesting feedback so far. Most seems very positive. I am really leaning this way, even if I don't get rid of my old Mac and HD2 Rig.

I tend to do a lot of tracking late on large mixes - late punch-ins etc. For example, I will have a whole session almost complete before I do the lead guitar work and keyboard solos. I usually do those last.

Also, I have some outboard gear that I use for overall reverb. What kind of latency are we talking about when using an outboard device like a TC Electronic rack reverb unit?

When you say "print the mix" you mean mix down, then shut off all individual tracks and use the mix to do the dubbing with? That sounds like a lot of work.

Plug-ins on the cue mix helps make the recording go easier as the artists like what they are hearing as they play. Is this really a problem in HD Native?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:20 PM

No HEAT in Pro Tools HD Native - you need to HDX to have HEAT or keep your old HD TDM system. Which makes no sense really. Avid please make HEAT available to HD Native users. Please. Also the Eleven Rack Editor is currently not working in Pro Tools 11. This is a major issue for me that keeps me using version 10 still. Hopefully resolved soon in 11. HD Native works great though. No need for HDX for me.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD