Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 PM

Default Yet another laptop thread.

So this week I spilled a whole glass of root beer in my 17 inch macbook pro that I've only had for a month. Its dead. Needless to say I am not a happy camper.

That being said, life must go on. I can't afford another MBP so I'm going to have to downgrade.

I know about the compatibility issues, so I'm trying to recruit help before I make another really expensive mistake

I was wondering what you guys think of this for PT9 (possibly with a digi002 but im not married to that.) I am a bit worried about the graphics thing.

HP Pavilion M6
Processor
Processor Type Intel Core i7-3632QM
Processor Cores 4
Processor Speed 2.2 GHz
Processor Cache 6 MB L3
Storage & Memory
Hard Drive Capacity 1 TB
Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute) 5400 rpm
RAM Size 8 GB
RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM
RAM Speed Information Not Available
RAM Slots 2
Optical Drive Super-Multi DVD +/-RW
Built-in Memory Card Reader Yes
Memory Card Reader - Compatible Memory Type Information Not Available
Graphics
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 7670M
Video Memory Configuration Dedicated
Dedicated Video Memory Size 2 GB
Wireless Display (WiDi) Capable Yes:.

Thanks guys
Nic
Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Yet another laptop thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niglopte View Post
So this week I spilled a whole glass of root beer in my 17 inch macbook pro that I've only had for a month. Its dead. Needless to say I am not a happy camper.

That being said, life must go on. I can't afford another MBP so I'm going to have to downgrade.

I know about the compatibility issues, so I'm trying to recruit help before I make another really expensive mistake

I was wondering what you guys think of this for PT9 (possibly with a digi002 but im not married to that.) I am a bit worried about the graphics thing.

HP Pavilion M6
Processor
Processor Type Intel Core i7-3632QM
Processor Cores 4
Processor Speed 2.2 GHz
Processor Cache 6 MB L3
Storage & Memory
Hard Drive Capacity 1 TB
Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute) 5400 rpm
RAM Size 8 GB
RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM
RAM Speed Information Not Available
RAM Slots 2
Optical Drive Super-Multi DVD +/-RW
Built-in Memory Card Reader Yes
Memory Card Reader - Compatible Memory Type Information Not Available
Graphics
Wireless Display (WiDi) Capable Yes:.

Thanks guys
Nic
The internal drive is only 5400 rpm, I don't care if its not your audio/recording drive its still painfully slow.

What audio drive will you use with this? USB 3 external?

What Firewire interface would you use for the 002? Or what other interfaces do you need to interface to?

A month old, presumably used 17" MBP? its really beyond repair? Did you try a really good repair center and see what it will cost to repair?

Why would you not get a current MacBook? Its a nicer built laptop than thee HP design copies, and is a Mac. The 15" Non-Retina with a quad i7 would be my preferences. SSD drives all the way (including a second one in the optical drive slot). And you get Thunderbolt for possible use with new generation interfaces.

Darryl
Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 AM

I've got an HP probook 4530s working great with windows 7 and pt9.0.3. Also using a NI Komplete Audio 6 and a 002R with the firewire express card, it also worked with a mbox2pro. With the Ni interface I can run at 32 samples with plenty of waves and mcdsp plugs, I am using it for live acoustic solo shows, traktor will run simultaneously so I can go rite to break music and don't have to rely on the bar.

Reason also runs great :)
Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The internal drive is only 5400 rpm, I don't care if its not your audio/recording drive its still painfully slow.

What audio drive will you use with this? USB 3 external?

What Firewire interface would you use for the 002? Or what other interfaces do you need to interface to?

A month old, presumably used 17" MBP? its really beyond repair? Did you try a really good repair center and see what it will cost to repair?

Why would you not get a current MacBook? Its a nicer built laptop than thee HP design copies, and is a Mac. The 15" Non-Retina with a quad i7 would be my preferences. SSD drives all the way (including a second one in the optical drive slot). And you get Thunderbolt for possible use with new generation interfaces.

Darryl
Unfortunately I cant get a current macbook because I just don't have the money.

I'm not too worried about the hard drive because its always replaceable. Its the video card and chipset I am most concerned about.

I have a glyph hdd that i connect to the digi 002 via fw800 and to my computer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulreed View Post
I've got an HP probook 4530s working great with windows 7 and pt9.0.3. Also using a NI Komplete Audio 6 and a 002R with the firewire express card, it also worked with a mbox2pro. With the Ni interface I can run at 32 samples with plenty of waves and mcdsp plugs, I am using it for live acoustic solo shows, traktor will run simultaneously so I can go rite to break music and don't have to rely on the bar.

Reason also runs great :)
Awesome, but that computer has the intel chipset and video card, so it doesnt answer my concerns :/

I am particularly concerned about this part:

Old 12-30-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I cant get a current macbook because I just don't have the money.

I'm not too worried about the hard drive because its always replaceable. Its the video card and chipset I am most concerned about.

I have a glyph hdd that i connect to the digi 002 via fw800 and to my computer via usb.

Awesome, but that computer has the intel chipset and video card, so it doesnt answer my concerns :/

I am particularly concerned about this part:

The ATI GPU should not be a problem. The other things I mentioned earlier are what you should worry about. Especially the need for a separate audio drive (7200 RPM or faster or SSD) and a correct Firewire controller (with TI chipset).

There are lots of good Independent repair facilities where you can take a laptop or Macbook who will pull it apart, wash the insides and replace whole keyboard and motherboard assemblies if needed. Sometimes using a refurb motheboard etc. The question was did you ask on of these places for a repair quote or are you assuming its not repairable.

Darryl
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
The ATI GPU should not be a problem. The other things I mentioned earlier are what you should worry about. Especially the need for a separate audio drive (7200 RPM or faster or SSD) and a correct Firewire controller (with TI chipset).

There are lots of good Independent repair facilities where you can take a laptop or Macbook who will pull it apart, wash the insides and replace whole keyboard and motherboard assemblies if needed. Sometimes using a refurb motheboard etc. The question was did you ask on of these places for a repair quote or are you assuming its not repairable.

Darryl
About the macbook, I actually called the apple store and explained what was happening when I tried to turn it on (continual intermittent loud beeps). He basically told me it was fried and not to bother bringing it in.

Can the glyph be connected to the digi with firewire and to the computer with usb 2.0?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
About the macbook, I actually called the apple store and explained what was happening when I tried to turn it on (continual intermittent loud beeps). He basically told me it was fried and not to bother bringing it in.

Can the glyph be connected to the digi with firewire and to the computer with usb 2.0?
Ah so no you never really looked hard at having the Mac repaired.... don't take dead computers to the Apple store, unless they are under warranty (and if damaged by the user even then expect a big ticket repair). A good independent repair center is often better for older computers and can source/scrounge used parts that Apple won't touch. Of course that assumes you know a good repair center, I have one nearby (SF Bay Area) that is very good, they do laptop hardware repair for clients like Google HQ, and Apple concierge/support escalation have had them do motherboard swaps on my MacBook Pro in the past.

No external drive that has USB Firewire connections does any protocol conversion. They can pass through Firewire if they have two Firewire ports but the can't convert between Firewire and USB (and that question actually has no meaning if you think about the low levels of what is going on). Again my recommendation is buy a Pro Tools qualified Firewire 800 drive from one of the companies I mentioned and buy a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from Apple.

Darryl
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Ah so no you never really looked hard at having the Mac repaired.... don't take dead computers to the Apple store, unless they are under warranty (and if damaged by the user even then expect a big ticket repair). A good independent repair center is often better for older computers and can source/scrounge used parts that Apple won't touch. Of course that assumes you know a good repair center, I have one nearby (SF Bay Area) that is very good, they do laptop hardware repair for clients like Google HQ, and Apple concierge/support escalation have had them do motherboard swaps on my MacBook Pro in the past.

No external drive that has USB Firewire connections does any protocol conversion. They can pass through Firewire if they have two Firewire ports but the can't convert between Firewire and USB (and that question actually has no meaning if you think about the low levels of what is going on). Again my recommendation is buy a Pro Tools qualified Firewire 800 drive from one of the companies I mentioned and buy a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from Apple.

Darryl
I really appreciate your time Darryl, thank you very much. Shipping for a PC is a real pain in the ass when it comes to pro tools and almost makes me want to switch to cubase

That being said I called an independent repair shop today and as you had predicted, they said to bring it in. When I told them the apple store told me to toss it, he said never to call the apple store again ha ha. He said it may not be worth fixing but no one should make that decision over the phone...
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate your time Darryl, thank you very much. Shipping for a PC is a real pain in the ass when it comes to pro tools and almost makes me want to switch to cubase

That being said I called an independent repair shop today and as you had predicted, they said to bring it in. When I told them the apple store told me to toss it, he said never to call the apple store again ha ha. He said it may not be worth fixing but no one should make that decision over the phone...
Yes, and its totally surprising what you can replace at low cost with a refurb assembly and at the other extreme what some small tiny missing screw might cost. You need somebody who does this every day to evaluate all that. BTW I've been really impressed by the folks at Computer Care in Mountain View, CA (http://www.computercare.net/index.php). Wished everybody had such a repair facility like that nearby.

BTW when you spill stuff on a computer/keyboard/laptop draining the stuff off, even opening it up while still wet and using an absorbent towel etc. to dry stuff then wipe with a moist clean towel etc. can really help avoid corrosion and other damage. Key caps just pop off and can be washed in water and the mess underneath mopped up. Coffee, sodas and other drinks on top of a console or rack should be avoided for a reason....

Darryl
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Well, I just got the call and unfortunately my logic board is fried. Your shop is a bit far from me, I am in quebec, canada :)

I was looking on the mac website and I think I'm going to get a refurbished mac mini. It seems to be the cheapest option for me as I already have a screen, mouse and keyboard lying around. Theres a refurb i7 on the applestore for 729, and I can grab a stick of 4gb ram from my dead laptop, throw it in there for 8 GB total. This option will probably be smarter than trying to rack my brain finding a windows computer that will work with PT.

It also has two 7200 RPM hard drives which mean I could potentially sell my glyph to help fund it.

Also, with my luck, I don't think I should own a laptop. It would only be a matter of time before I spilled something else

I really appreciate all your help Darryl, you're a good man!