Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Advice on iTunes file formats?

Hi everyone, hopefully this isn't too off topic for this forum but I was looking for a little advice relating to audio file formats. I am currently planning to re-import my entire cd collection into iTunes since when I last did it I was working on a laptop and had limited hard drive space and just imported to MP3s. I now want to have full uncompressed audio files for my entire collection (which is hundreds of CDs so it'll be extremely time consuming hence me wanting to get this right from the beginning.)

The reason I'm asking this here is because I would like to have good reference material to A/B my mixes with within Pro Tools and want this audio library to be compatible with any of my audio software. I occasionally import cuts of audio material to sample small sounds like drums or stabs as well. So, I want to make sure the file format won't have any issues or complications with being imported to Pro Tools...or any other software I may be working with (ex. something like iZotope Ozone's EQ reference/match feature.)

So I'm leaning toward either just WAV, AIFF or Apple Lossless. My concerns are:

WAV is probably the most universally usable and obvious choice, but from my understanding has trouble holding some of the metadata I want in my iTunes collection. I've traditionally always worked with this format in Pro Tools.

AIFF apparently holds more metadata and works really well with iTunes...not sure if there's drawback since I haven't really used this format much???

Apple Lossless is supposed to be the go to for importing to iTunes for full lossless archive and would obviously would save space, but I'm not sure if that's much of a concern for me since I'll be using a dedicated hard drive for this library that is 1TB. I'm not sure if this format would give me issues if I wanted to import/convert within Pro Tools or any of my other software.

Sorry in advance if this is a silly thing to ask here. Again, I just really want to not spend hours and hours doing this to regret the choice later. Pretty much all the research I could do mostly related to those formats within iTunes for consumer use and didn't address my concerns with things relating to Pro Tools.