Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-12-2019, 05:48 AM

Default ProTools trying to Install on the wrong Hard Drive

Hello,

This is my first time using this forum for ProTools. Please forgive me for not having all of the info listed on the 'before posting' page, but I don't think most of it is relevant since I haven't gotten the program to finish installing yet, but I'll provide what I can/know

Windows 10
Asus laptop (not sure what model)
ProTools 2018.7

So, the problem is summarized in the three images attached. Basically, my computer has 2 hard drives, the C drive which is rather small and basically full, and the E drive which has plenty (100+ gb) of free space.

Now, for whatever reason, ProTools is trying to install onto the full drive and not the wide open one. It then takes me to a screen where it claims I can change where things are installed, however I get nothing in the list. Nothing to select and no way to change how things are installed. If I click next, it just cycles backwards.

I don't know where to begin with this, to be honest. I downloaded ProTools via the Application manager, if that's relevant. Would it be better to download it from the Avid site directly and open it in the E drive itself?

I'm very new to all of this and not very tech savvy. That's something I'd like to change going forward, as I'm trying to learn to use this program in school. Any and all advice, whatever other info I need to provide (and if possible, where to find said info), and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
-Eriias
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (79.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (79.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (74.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Default Re: ProTools trying to Install on the wrong Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriias View Post
Hello,

This is my first time using this forum for ProTools. Please forgive me for not having all of the info listed on the 'before posting' page, but I don't think most of it is relevant since I haven't gotten the program to finish installing yet, but I'll provide what I can/know

Windows 10
Asus laptop (not sure what model)
ProTools 2018.7

So, the problem is summarized in the three images attached. Basically, my computer has 2 hard drives, the C drive which is rather small and basically full, and the E drive which has plenty (100+ gb) of free space.

Now, for whatever reason, ProTools is trying to install onto the full drive and not the wide open one. It then takes me to a screen where it claims I can change where things are installed, however I get nothing in the list. Nothing to select and no way to change how things are installed. If I click next, it just cycles backwards.

I don't know where to begin with this, to be honest. I downloaded ProTools via the Application manager, if that's relevant. Would it be better to download it from the Avid site directly and open it in the E drive itself?

I'm very new to all of this and not very tech savvy. That's something I'd like to change going forward, as I'm trying to learn to use this program in school. Any and all advice, whatever other info I need to provide (and if possible, where to find said info), and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
-Eriias
PT is doing what it's supposed to do with the installer - install it on your system drive (C:) where all programs are supposed to reside. PT itself isn't all that big. What you need to do is to remove all the crapware that's on the system drive. Any commercial computer, especially Windows machines, have way more stuff on them than is necessary. Doesn't matter where you download the program from they're all the same installer.

Here's a hint: if you have the option in the future when installing stuff that uses samples install the samples to your E: drive.

QAPLA!
Old 04-12-2019, 07:47 PM

Default Re: ProTools trying to Install on the wrong Hard Drive

Thanks, that did it. I don't know why it wouldn't give me the options to just move things around like it said it would, but you were right there was plenty of junk I was able to just remove.

I'll keep that in mind for the future. :)