Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-11-2004, 11:18 AM

Default OT: CRT Monitor Dead??

A friend of mine has a really nice CRT monitor. It worked for 2 years, then one day it just stopped working. The monitor powers up, but the light stays amber and never switches to green. No video is displayed whatsoever. Any ideas out there, or could it be many things?

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 02-11-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Re: OT: CRT Monitor Dead??

sounds like a case of DRT.
Dead Right There.
probably just time to get another one dude. The do just give up the ghost sometimes. Usually they will give you some indication.. funny colors, or faded screen... but this one sounds toast..probably cheaper to buy another than get it fixed.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:35 PM

It was a $1000 monitor, it would still be cheaper to get a new one?

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 02-11-2004, 12:38 PM

YIKES..

hmm... well I might have to think about that first. I think I would check everything up to the monitor... is the video card still working well? drivers?
How did it die? Did it fade away or just not come on one day?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:41 PM

Well you could slap it up the side to see if there is anything microphonic like
loose solder joints or weak connections. (percussive maintenance)
Next is to take it apart and do a close inspection of the circuit boards for
burnt components. Also take a magnifying glass and carefully examine solder joints for
hair line cracks especially around the flyback transformer.(hunt and peck troubleshooting)
As a last resort try changing a bunch of suspect components or bypass things like
the degausse circuit. (shot gun technique)
If none of that works it's time to drop kick it and get a flat panel monitor.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:47 PM

No visual weirdnesses took place from what I understand. It worked one day, and didn't the next. It has two channels (VGA) and the problem occurs with both channels. It can't be the video card because he has since plugged in an old 15" monitor to use until we figure something out. I will try and take a look at the inside. Thanks guys.

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 02-12-2004, 12:01 AM

Reminds me of the 21" IIlyama I had to throw away about a year ago. It had the best image I have ever seen. And the tube was still working fine the day it went nirvana. But being an electronic layman I was left without chance. From experience I knew the classical procedure in an average workshop would had been to declare that something extremly expensive was broken in order to just make me buy a new moni from them.

So I spared me to schlep those over 30 kg forth and back and went with a sony TFT. No TFT can yet give such a crisp image, only their smaller and lighter build is a relief.

Since with the new screen before me I feel that my eyes are a bit suffering from the lower image quality. On the other hand I guess that one gets less radiated with the new technology.

For what it´s worth ...

Lalaman
Old 02-12-2004, 12:32 AM

weird....i got TFT and was amazed by the sharpness and clarity of the picture. I could move back the tft's a lot. Right now the monitor is around one yard/meter from my eyes, and i can read everything (i have dual 15" TFT's). That includes the webadress on top....

And my eyes arent that great......the TFT is so unbelievably sharp

Bastiaan
Old 02-12-2004, 12:42 AM

That´s right, an average TFT exceeds average CRT. But the IIlyama was a very good one and as far as I have read and seen the sharpest imgae is yet delivered by CRT technology.

Might even be TFTs meanwhile to have further improved, but the one I have was considered to be a very good one a year ago and can´t compete at all with what the IIlyama delivered.

Lalaman
Old 02-12-2004, 03:10 AM

If you plug in a substitute monitor and all is fine then, as you say, the vid card sounds ok. Other than a driver problem my guess would also be that the monitor is gone. Typical local repair shop jobs, depending on the part, cost in the area of a few hundred dollars. High operating temperatures are a common cause for shortened monitor life. You can insert wire temp probes in there to monitor temps next time if you think that may be a factor. With CRTs, also a good practice to orient the monitor north/south or vice versa to align it with the Earth's magnetic field. Just another thing that prolongs life.

CRTs are good for graphics work. If not using that give serious consideration to LCD.