Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-03-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Tape vs Digital

vhs works well. Back in the early 80's I know Stevie Ray and Joe Ely mastered to VHS before recording thier first cd's.

July

MP3's
Old 02-03-2004, 09:46 PM

Hmmm,

Quote:
Back in the early 80's I know Stevie Ray and Joe Ely mastered to VHS before recording thier first cd's
Interesting. They've probably opted for the VHS Hi-Fi audio tracks, or the SONY F1/601 type of early digital encoders. Can't believe the linear audio tracks were used. But who knows??

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 02-04-2004, 05:51 AM

Hey Hank,
All I do is record through a mixer directly onto the tape machine, all 8 tracks. Then I play them back, running them directly into pro-tools, all at the same time.
To be quite honest with you I am not sure about delay, because when I lay down my initial tracks, I am not even recording anything to pro-tools.
I am only using this for drums, so all I need to do is get a good take on the drums, and then I am recording my subsequent tracks to pro-tools as overdubs.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:04 AM

Just a question about cleaning the tape heads - what kind of alcohol do I need for that?
Is 96% alcohol you can buy at any chemist's shop good enough for the job?

Thanx!
Old 02-04-2004, 06:36 AM

I use >@ home > 99% Isopropyl Alcohol..good stuff but don't drink it ! The other variation is like 75% and called " rubbing". That one has additional lubricants in it, therefore not suitable, nor recommended for head cleaning.
> @ the studio we have that colored AMPEX head cleaner in the metal can.

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 02-04-2004, 06:41 AM

I can absolutly understand the nostalgia of a loved "sound". I have a good friend who also happens to be a legendary producer. Very "Old School". Probably, one of the last guys on earth to make the switch to Pro Tools. When I heard music he made in his home LE studio, I flipped out! His method and recommendation to me. Use Tube Gear! At the very least, Tube Pre and/or Tube Comp. and he wasn't talking about the expensive stuff. He had one of those little ART tube compressors. Ya know, the little guys you see on ebay for 40 bucks, if that. I love plug-ins, but making your source sound magical before Pro Tools immortalizes it, just might be the name of the game. ... but i'm sure this is old news to you guys.

I know "tube" and "tape" are completly different subjects. I just felt like tossing my 2 cents in.
ok, i'll shut up now.

Mike P~

X-Dreamer II
Asus K8V Deluxe
AMD 64 3200+
Corsair XMS 1024MB
WD SATA 80G Drive X2
NEC DVDRW
MBox
Old 02-04-2004, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Probably, one of the last guys on earth to make the switch to Pro Tools
Hmmm, I've just learned PT last month, although have been in the studio for 20 years, but must admit did use digital technology since the mid 80's.

Quote:
but making your source sound magical before Pro Tools immortalizes it, just might be the name of the game
yep...has been and will be. PT is your recorder and a darn good non linear editor. " Studio" is just that. Unfortunately less and less clients are asking for 2" recording. Tape cost and alignment times are deciding factor$$$.

happy tooling,
cheers,

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 02-04-2004, 07:01 AM

Ya know- I said VHS but they might have used Sony Beta HiFi. Some of my 80's Texas days are hard to recall!

Mike

July

MP3's
Old 02-04-2004, 07:55 AM

Hey Mr Sparky,
Speaking of tape - I guess I need to get off my duff and bake some tapes. I am ready to get that little project behind me.

ps: OT, I just checked out your website and looks like you also played with the ubiquitous Mitch... is this THE Mitch... the drummer that you will never forget?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Speaking of tape - I guess I need to get off my duff and bake some tapes. I am ready to get that little project behind me.
Right...I grew up in the digital age....so could someone teach me why, how and when you would bake tapes??