Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Avid

Default Re: Thinkin bout selling my Mbox Micro and...

Quote:
ill go buy an Ilok, then buy (download) PT9 by entering serial number off of my Micro, then install PT9. Then sell my Micro (hopefully) and have full version of PT9 forever.

Correct?
Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
Doesnt this mean that whoever i sell my Micro to will never be able to crossgrade to 9?
That is also correct. They would have to purchase a full version.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 AM

Yes, I'd assume a given piece of hardware can only be traded in once, but can you actually transfer ownership of Digi hardware whose serial has been traded in for a crossgrade?

ie. If I sell my Micro, can I legally transfer ownership of it, and/or the associated PT discs to the buyer, or does it, as therecordinghouse says, become worthless?

This really should be in the FAQ's, 'cos I guess there's going to be a lot of second-hand Digi hardware appearing on the market now, and it would be good to know, in black-and-white, where this stuff stands in terms of ownership,
cheers
Roger
Old 12-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Question Re: Thinkin bout selling my Mbox Micro and...

I'd assume that the micro is obsolete now. since you only get a stereo out & volume control, which is what you get out of a tower or laptop with no hardware, why would anyone need a micro, other than to replace a lost one & not wanting to upgrade because of CPU limitations ( I Guess PPC users can't go to 9) thus I can't see anyone wanting to buy one...

PT9/SN10.6.5/4gbram/Macbookpro17'/2.6Ghz/CPTK & ALSO PPCQuad Tower PT 8.01/Leopard 10.5/10GbRam.
TT..
Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
I'd assume that the micro is obsolete now. since you only get a stereo out & volume control, which is what you get out of a tower or laptop with no hardware, why would anyone need a micro, other than to replace a lost one & not wanting to upgrade because of CPU limitations ( I Guess PPC users can't go to 9) thus I can't see anyone wanting to buy one...

PT9/SN10.6.5/4gbram/Macbookpro17'/2.6Ghz/CPTK & ALSO PPCQuad Tower PT 8.01/Leopard 10.5/10GbRam.
TT..
Well, as far as USB sound cards go... it sounds way better than most onboard sound cards (at least factory installed cards/hubs) and is pretty darn portable.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Well, as far as USB sound cards go... it sounds way better than most onboard sound cards (at least factory installed cards/hubs) and is pretty darn portable.
While it is portable, imo it sounds no better than PT9 thru the headphone outs on my MBPro. It served its purpose well over the last 2-3 years though.. ff
Old 12-11-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:

TT..
I was going to put my Micro on eBay. Figuring that I didn't need it and I could get a little money for it and some one else could get PT9 at a discount. I decided to do a A/B comparison against my MacBook Pros audio and not surprisingly the Micro sounded noticeably better. Better lows, MUCH better imaging and clarity. The Micro also Has a lot more volume on tap and stays cleaner as its turned up. Dont write off the Micro if sound quality is important.

Now a lot of it depends on what your doing with your laptop. If your just editing MIDI or doing some composing the laptops speakers are probably going to be adequate. Anything that involved critical listening or minor mixing you would probably appreciate the Micro.

Since its paid for and takes up little room in my laptop bag I guess I'm going to keep the Micro for now.

Another advantage of the Micro would be eliminating the need for ASIO4ALL for Windows users and replacing it with a proper interface with Digi drivers.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-11-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
While it is portable, imo it sounds no better than PT9 thru the headphone outs on my MBPro. It served its purpose well over the last 2-3 years though.. ff
Curious if you have a unibody MBP.

VERY noticable difference here on a early 2008 17MBP and 2006 17' MBP

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Curious if you have a unibody MBP.

VERY noticable difference here on a early 2008 17MBP and 2006 17' MBP
I have a 2006 17" and a month old 15". There is virtually no difference in either. hmmmm.... maybe my micro is defective. If so, it has been for 3 years!!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Unhappy Re: Thinkin bout selling my Mbox Micro and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I was going to put my Micro on eBay. Figuring that I didn't need it and I could get a little money for it and some one else could get PT9 at a discount.
Ya but if you've used your micro for the 9 upgrade, then someone else won't be able to use it - i don't think...
Old 12-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Ya but if you've used your micro for the 9 upgrade, then someone else won't be able to use it - i don't think...
The whole idea was to sell it with the serial unused so that some one could use it for the upgrade. In my eyes that adds a lot of value to it.

I used the serial from another peice of LE gear that I figured I would be keeping to get my PT9 upgrade.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page