Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-15-1999, 10:00 AM

Default MixI/O card not windows?

I had been given the impression that all of the Mix hardware was cross-platform. Imagine my surprise to open a boxfull of spanking new hardware, secure in the knowledge that I can move it from my only Mac to one of our half dozen suitable NT machines, only to find that the Mix I/O card is labeled as Mac-only!

I will install the new hardware into a Mac for now and this is not a pressing problem. But I am planning to move entirely to NT at some point. Is there a cross-platform version of the Mix I/O card that I should have received?
Old 11-16-1999, 10:53 AM

Default Re: MixI/O card not windows?

Hello, Digi?
Old 11-16-1999, 11:57 AM

Richard

Technically speaking what's cross-platform with your system is the media and not the hardware even though the cards are the same for both systems and can theoretically be interchanged. When you register the system with Digidesign you do so under MAC or NT and not both. Once registered we then can send you the appropriate back-ups for the OS your using. If you own more than one registered system for each OS and desire to interchange the cards this should work.

Reading the compatibility documents for Pro Tools NT 4.2.6 I don't see a MIX I/O card listed and I'm currently looking into why it's not included and if it's getting full support for Pro Tools v5.0. I do know that with Pro Tools 4.2.6 NT you can only have one family of hardware installed at a time and cards can't be mixed. Meaning you can't have d24/DSP farms installed at the same time with 24 MIX/MIX farms. With Pro Tools v5.0 you will be able to interchange the cards on the NT platform.

Brad

11/16/99-5:30pm
The MIX I/O is fully supported with Pro Tools v5.0 on the NT platform

[This message has been edited by TechSupt2 (edited 11-16-99).]
Old 11-17-1999, 08:04 AM

Thanks, Brad. You've answered my questions.

I plan to keep our new Mix core and Mix I/O cards in one system, I now have both NT and Mac registrations, and was told by pre-sales and by my dealer that the Mix core and Mix I/O card are cross platform and that I would be able to move the Mix cards from Mac to NT whenever I was ready. I assume this would be a simple re-registration with Digi, and perhaps a small software purchase. What threw me is the label on the Mix I/O box which says "Supports Compatible Macintosh-based Systems Only". I just wanted to be sure that it is a mis-labeling.