Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2012, 03:07 PM

Smile Rewiring multiple tracks from Reason help ?

Hi
Im new to the forum , and to pro tools , and im having some probs re-wiring from Reason 5 to mp9 . I have watched several tutorials and they all have slightly different ways of doing things. What im trying to do is basically transfer my recorded tracks on reason to pro tools and then add some vox and guitar. I have managed to get some joy in rewiring through the basic ways of rewiring , but im not sure which is the best.
if i have 10 tracks in reason , and i want to make them ten audio tracks in pro tools , do i create them as audio mono tracks and record enable them in PT and record etc , or as instrument tracks and bus them to another 10 audio tracks ? It seems that it might be easier to just export the from reason as audio tracks , and import them on PT ?
Any links to any documental stuff , or any advice that would help me do this the easiest way would be greatly appreciated !

thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Rewiring multiple tracks from Reason help ?

Exporting/importing might be the quickest if it does it faster than real time. Never thought to try that. My only experience with Reason is 2.0 Adapted which came with PT7 in 2005 or 2006. It still works great for what I need it for with PT9 on Win7x64. That's some solid programming!

The way I do it is to begin by assigning my Reason sounds to separate outputs. Then in Pro Tools, I make an Aux track to receive each of those outputs. Insert a Reason Rewire plug-in on each, assigning them to the outputs that have been chosen in Reason. Bus the Aux tracks to Audio tracks, and record.

E.g., if my Kick drum in Reason is patched to output 5, I have a mono Aux track in PT with a mono Reason Rewire plug-in on it set to receive from Reason output 5. The output of the Aux track is assigned to, say, bus 51; then I make a mono Audio track with its input assigned to bus 51.

Maybe I have a stereo keyboard sound in Reason patched to outputs 7 & 8. So I make a stereo Aux track in PT with a stereo Reason Rewire plug-in on it set to receive from Reason outputs 7 & 8. The output of that Aux track might be assigned to, say, buses 53 & 54. I make a stereo Audio track with input assigned to buses 53 & 54.

Make sense? You mentioned instrument tracks. That would work but the tracks are more complicated than need be. An Instrument track receives MIDI and expects to pass it to a VI in the first Insert. Not sure what might happen if there were a Rewire plug-in in the first insert of an Instrument track. It shouldn't hurt anything. But Aux tracks are simpler.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 AM

Hey Daeron
Thanks for your input man. I am only new to PT and it can get a little confusing if you know what i mean . So Aux tracks for rewire , and bus to audio tracks . Thats cool . I was watching different tutorials and some where using instrument tracks (midi) and some where using Aux tracks . i just wanted to get the easiest and fastest way . I am usually working with at least 10 reason tracks , so i would need 10 Aux (mono) and bus to ten Audio (mono) right ? Or for Sterio i would need double that ? I have got it working but its quite a lot of setting up tracks and busses etc . Thats why i thought about just exporting them and importing them as Audio tracks . I may be faster making up a template for such times im rewiring to save time .
Thanks for your time bro
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 AM

If version 5 will export, I'm sure that would be the fastest way to do it. If someone was using Instrument tracks in that setup, I would bet that they were playing Reason through Pro Tools. IOW, instead of creating everything in Reason, they were probably playing the MIDI into PT, and sending it through Reason back into PT. That's what I usually do. In that scenario, you have to print it into PT in real time because it's the only way Reason knows what notes to play. But even there, a MIDI track is a simpler way to do it than an Instrument track. Really, the only reason (ahem) I can think of to use an Instrument track in PT is if it has a VI on it.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB