Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-03-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Numeric keypad transport control feature request

I'm wishing that I could optionally enter an amount in time that the numeric one and two keys jump forward and back, each time you hit them (in transport mode). I'm used to working in bars and beats and jumping around by bars for each press of the button. Sometimes there is no grid or you need to work displaying SMPTE, and having it move only one frame or by only a second (for min:sec, and samples) is kind of a drag.

STeve
Old 02-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Numeric keypad transport control feature request

Are you talking about the capture funcion? You can also jump to markers by pressing the marker number fallowed by (.)
HerronSFX Instagram
Old 02-03-2006, 06:11 PM

Steve, isn't that what the Back Forward command does? Control-rewind to jump back - the amount is set in the Preferenes->Operation->Back Forward Amount.

Having to use a transport key can be kinda akward though.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Steve, isn't that what the Back Forward command does? Control-rewind to jump back - the amount is set in the Preferenes->Operation->Back Forward Amount.

Thanks Jim,

Yes, but you have to command-click on the floating transport rewind button. I'm used to using the one and two buttons on the numeric keypad for transport control. If you hold them down, you get a smooth scrolling rewind & fast forward. But if you tap them, you move by a bar (ish) when displaying bars & beats, but only by a frame if displaying SMPTE, or by a second if you are displaying min. & sec. or samples. I would like to be able to optionally back up 3 seconds for every tap, if I'm displaying SMPTE. IMHO, the numeric keypad is the quickest way to control the transport, but I feel clumbsy when I'm looking at SMPTE. One idea would be have another pulldown, like for the grid and nudge values, where you can choose to unlink the rewind tap value from the currently displayed time base. It's often the little things like this that make for big improvements in workflow, when you perform an operation 500 times a day.

STeve
Old 02-03-2006, 08:29 PM

I agree the use of the transport button is bizarre. That key-mouse combo is not very handy.
At least keystrokes would make a macro of some kind possible.