Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2020, 11:42 AM

Default Mouse/MIDI track latency

I have used ProTools since v8. I have never not had issues with this software.
Now, I have encountered an additional "undocumented feature" in v2020, which I upgraded to from 12.7.1 about 3 weeks ago.

Without warning, a MIDI track will become extremely latent between the track and my mouse (trimming or extending notes, deleting or adding notes) to the point that it's impossible to make the changes. Nothing I try will correct the problem. This happens after having worked on the session several times without any issues. I discussed this with Tech Support at Sweetwater. They told me that there is no fix for the issue and that it has been around since before 2017. The only thing they suggested was to create a new track, with whatever plugins were on the original track, move that track right next to the affected track and drag the recorded MIDI track into the new track. That is really maddening and only reduces the latency about 60% between mouse and track but does not correct the problem entirely. The latency is just lessened. Insanity! Why can't AVID fix these issues once and for all? Does anyone have any advice? I'm not a techie so keep it simple please.

Here's my system: Dell 3780 laptop, Win10, i7 CPU, 16g RAM, Focusrite 6i6 interface. My sessions are small, usually between 3 and 6 tracks. Some MIDI, others Audio. I do use plugins including MIDI Grand, Xpand2, Superior Drummer.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Mouse/MIDI track latency

Why or why did you post this question in the section for licensing and accounts??? Maybe one of the mods can move it to the section on MIDI?

Personally, I have not seen what you describe here. It would probably help to add a lot more info, especially about the computer, such as:
What drive(S) does the computer have?
Is it only a single drive?
Is it an SSD or a spinning drive?
If its a spinner, how fast is it(5400 rpm, 7200 rpm)?
What interface?

Let's say you have only 1 drive and its a spinner; you're asking it to handle the operating system(Windows 10), and Pro Tools recording(which needs a speedy drive), and you want it to stream samples from Superior Drummer...well, that's a lot of work for a single drive. With a fast SSD, it would probably work okay. With a 7200 rpm spinner, it may choke. With a 5400 rpm spinner, its going to fall on its face. This is why we have minimum system requirement guidelines Clue us in on the details and maybe someone will have some good advice.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave