Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Default Confused about Converters and Pres

I've left a few threads on this board about either getting a api a2d or a rosetta 200. now what i want is a great converter but i don't want to use the mic pres for vocals and guitars that are stock on my digi002. i plan to use the other pres stock on the digi002 if needed in the future.

so my question with the api a2d and the rosetta 200 is do i need to buy a set of new pres to go with it to get the best sound i'm going for? also what about playback do i need something seperate for that and a big knob or something?

I'm trying to figure all this out before i drop a good amount of money on everything as i plan to in january when my funds come in. any feedback would be greatly appreciated! sorry if this is a noob question to some but i've been researching a lot and understand the fundemntals but some things i'm just not clear on and what i should buy first.

Mac pro QuadCore (two duals)
7gb ram
Digi 002 console
protools 8
logic 9
leopad 10.5.8
mackie mr8s
Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Confused about Converters and Pres

The API is a dual channel mic preamp with digital output(nothing else needed). The Rosetta(someone correct me if this is wrong) is just a converter and would still need preamps. If you stay at 44.1 or 48K, you can also run 8 channels of outboard into the lightpipe input. There are lots of inexpensive choices there, but you could also step up the quality with either a Rosetta800 and outboard preamps, or the Focusrite ISA428 or 828 with the digital output card option. Right now, the API A2D would seem the most cost-effective step up(the only other thing you would need is a good SPDIF cable).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Explanation.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
...The Rosetta(someone correct me if this is wrong) is just a converter and would still need preamps. If you stay at 44.1 or 48K, you can also run 8 channels of outboard into the lightpipe input....
Yes, you would need preamps with the Rosetta 200, but it is only a 2 channel device. The Rosetta 800 can send 8 channels, but would also require preamps.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:03 PM

K that's what i was thinking both were. hmmmm so i guess the api a2d would be the one in all and a little extra in price but not by much and the rosetta 200 i would still need to get a set of 2 preamps. i really only need 2 preamps. i've seen other things in even cheaper price ranges but i'm the kind of the guy that would rather save up for something than buy down and can wait if my pockets are too thin. but my price range is 1,800 or less right now, less is always a perk :). any suggestions or benifits if i went with the rosetta would be appreciated.

right now the api a2d is looking like the winner. but i might get the rosetta if i can get a good price from a friend that has a brother that works for apogee. if that happens i'm sure to go with that becasue of a discounted price.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiller View Post
K that's what i was thinking both were. hmmmm so i guess the api a2d would be the one in all and a little extra in price but not by much and the rosetta 200 i would still need to get a set of 2 preamps. i really only need 2 preamps. i've seen other things in even cheaper price ranges but i'm the kind of the guy that would rather save up for something than buy down and can wait if my pockets are too thin. but my price range is 1,800 or less right now, less is always a perk :). any suggestions or benifits if i went with the rosetta would be appreciated.

right now the api a2d is looking like the winner. but i might get the rosetta if i can get a good price from a friend that has a brother that works for apogee. if that happens i'm sure to go with that becasue of a discounted price.
The Rosetta is also a D/A..

For ultimate flexibility = Rosetta + outboard pres. This will cost a lot more to get the same quality in the Pres (and the pres will make a bigger difference to your sound..)

For great bang for the buck, legendary quality mic pres and less necessary rack space = A2D.. You can use the converters by themselves, if I remember correctly. You can also take the outputs of the pres by themselves, meaning you can patch compressors before the A/D...

You have been asking these questions several times and it makes me worry that you don't understand the underlying concepts fully.. Make sure you figure it all out before busting out the credit card...
Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM

nice to see you chime in flommer. i always respect your advice... i know i know... i'm trying and i'm starting to understand. i did notice the rosetta had that extra option. but i'm listening and i think i will buy peice by peice and i think i have made my mind to start with the a2d.

thanks again guys.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks guys for being so patient with me. I'm still researching and I have one more question about things. k i see the rosetta 200 comes with a/d and d/a and the a2d comes with a/d and the preamps but no d/a. i plan on clocking either to the digi 002.

so if i get the rosetta 200 i would be using the digi pre amps or i guess find 2 better pres for cheap, with d/a for monitoring which i just bought some new mackies 2 months ago. but the a2d has some really nice pres but no d/a. so now i see the draw backs here... so if i get the rosetta 200 would i get by with good conversion a/d and sound without better pres till i could afford them? and would getting the a2d be worthless when monitoring back since there is no d/a until i buy a seperate d/a.

i can only afford one for now and plan on buying whatever else i need with either converter if it costs more than 400 a year from now. so my question is for now what would be the best buy for overall better conversion, sound clarity and monitoring give or take a few set backs with lack of better pres or no d/a.

please be nice guys :)
Old 11-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys for being so patient with me. I'm still researching and I have one more question about things. k i see the rosetta 200 comes with a/d and d/a and the a2d comes with a/d and the preamps but no d/a. i plan on clocking either to the digi 002.
Nope, Rosetta or A2D will be the clock source. The 002 will clock to it...

Quote:
so if i get the rosetta 200 i would be using the digi pre amps with d/a for monitoring which i just bought some new mackies 2 months ago. but the a2d has some really nice pres but no d/a. so now i see the draw backs here... so if i get the rosetta 200 would i get by with good conversion a/d and sound without better pres till i could afford them? and would getting the a2d be worthless when monitoring back since there is no d/a until i buy a seperate d/a.
No, you can't use the 002 preamps through the Rosetta.. If you get the Rosetta, you will need external Preamps...

The A2d is only for the front end... The input side of things. It will not affect the outputs (except that the Digi D/A converters will be clocking to the A2D. Likely a negligible difference)

The Rosetta would allow you to monitor via it's better D/A..

Quote:
i can only afford one for now and plan on buying whatever else i need a year from now. so my question is for now what would be the best buy for overall better conversion, sound clarity and monitoring give or take a few set backs with lack of better pres or no d/a.

please be nice guys :)
Here are the 2 scenarios:
With A2d:

Mics -> A2D -> SPDIF -> 002 -> analog main outputs-> monitors
With Rosetta:

Mics -> standalone Micpres -> Rosetta -> Spdif > 002 -> Spdif -> Rosetta -> analog outputs -> monitors
IMO to make the investment in the Rosetta worthwhile, you will need to spend some serious money on a stereo mic pre..($1k+) Mic pres will make a bigger difference in your sound than converters, and the A2D has world class mic-pres..
Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 PM

flommer

so money wise with what i have now would be the a2d and probably buy a apogee min dac if i want to monitor back otherwise i would be montioring through my digi002 but still have a better conversion and sound quality than i do now. the rosetta i would have to buy mic pres in which you're suggesting 1k mic pres so the rosetta would be insane expenisve.

bottom line sounds like the a2d now would make a great improvment with nice pres, clocksource, a/d...then down the line i could get a apogee mini dac or another one maybe you could recommend to complete my setup for my two channels...right?

how about the presonus central station studio monitor control center to go with the a2d? it has d/a conversion and is only 450-499?