Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Inserts & Sends

Mixing music (and a little bit post).

I use VCA faders a lot, and VCA spill, so have always been happy with 8 faders. Also had 8 faders on my D-Command.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:00 AM

Hi Mtung,

Thanks for the feedback and constructive dialog. Expanding plug-ins from the Eq or Dyn function (not inserts) should be consistent across plug-ins. The page tables build out the EQ's such that the lower right knob is always high gain, then freq and Q above it. Up to five bands build out from right to left and any filters are in the left most knobs. Dynamics plugs build out from the lower left knob column as ratio, threshold, attack, release.

Also, a lot of S6 customers put their knob modules directly above the fader modules so that the knobs are very easy to get to. The rational being that you adjust the knobs much more often than you hit the function buttons, so it makes sense to position them closer to the mixer. One of the other advantages of the S6 is the oled displays which show you the encoder position, parameter name, and value simultaneously unlike Icon which has coarser led's around the knob for position and a single 6 character display that switches between parameter and value. And the M40 S6 which is in the same price ballpark as D-Control, shows Eq curves or Dynamics gain reduction curves on every channel, and breakpoint automation lanes over waveform which provide a scrolling cue sheet which is very useful visual feedback when mixing material you are not familiar with.
We developed Icon over the years into a very powerful mixing platform and it was a very successful product for both us and our customers. But I think most Icon mixers that have made the transition to S6 would agree that S6 takes mixing to a whole new level in terms of its ergonomics, visual feedback and deep feature set that is specifically designed to help mixers deal with the larger, more complex sessions in both music and post and the compressed timelines mixers are faced with today. I think if you actually did a couple of mixes on an S6, and got a bit more familiar with its capabilities on actual sessions, the light bulbs would go off. Anyway thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:58 AM

Hi guys. Using M10 for 2 years and 2 months now. I was, maybe the first one to buy it on Latin America, or was among the first one`s.

Recentely, maybe on 3.5 realase was implemented the auto expand mode. It was a key feature that speeds up the repetitive task of eq or compress tons of audios, dynamicaly over time - I`m in post so, each minute of timeline would be made of complete different sets of sounds...

I`m one of the users that have already complain about a missing "apple IOS style" of implemetation and validation rules, where ALL PLUG-INS developers should follow the same rules to build their plug-ins... I understand that AVID can`t acomplish that.

But well, with the time, and because I use a very specific and regular set of plug-ins for those "daily" tasks, I`m not digging around looking for the correct parameter.

But well +100 for being able to instantiate plug-ins and sends from the console.
-----
Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Like automagically binding XMON or MTRX (AX32).

:)
Ha Yeah !
Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Like automagically binding XMON or MTRX (AX32).
)
This is already working and will*be in the next release.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:30 PM

+1 For instantiating inserts and sends directly from the surface.

Personally I think this doesn't follow the principle of mixing without looking at the screen, unless of course you use Default Plug-Ins. Both the Artist Series and the PT Control app allow this functionality, but not the S6. I know those are different departments, but it's something really useful.

My only complain for the Expand function are the blank spaces, especially when focusing a single parameter on the process module.

My 2 cents.
Best,
J.