Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Thank you guitardom for the look over on my spec's.
Any recommedation on a video card?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithunter View Post
Thank you guitardom for the look over on my spec's.
Any recommedation on a video card?

have now put 4 different video cards in this machine for various reasons i dont care to go into unless i really need to

but this is my current one, had it about a week and working great so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131144

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks again guitardom!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
vid card goes into the first slot. the one closest to the cpu.

gigabyte has done quite a few boards like that in the past with the sata ports. the last one or 2 i had were like that. everything fits in fine.

the onboard 1394 is fine.

Thanks matey...what BIOS version are you using ?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus44uk View Post
Thanks matey...what BIOS version are you using ?
my board is the 1.0 version so we have different bios's to load. mine is F6 but yours will be something like FC or something cant remember for sure, but it uses a different numbering scheme.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-03-2009, 03:39 AM

Tada!!!
NewEgg shopping list
And then..
The CPU Cooler! (will be lapped)
Seems to compare well...
Round-up of coolers
And then... it fits!
It will work with all DIMM filled!!!

OK.. yes, it is an overkill vid card. I cannot afford to do two machines. So, one partition for gaming, one for audio. Gotta be a way to tone down the resource impact of the card for the audio partition. I am only doing my own stuff these days, and as my health gets worse and worse, I get stuck at home more and more often. I will barebone it with existing drives I have until I can sell my Mac Pro 1st gen, then use that cash to finish it off with the second set of 6G ram, WD drives, and OS (buying the Vista 64 Ult now for the free upgrade to W7 Ult, which will include BOTH x86 and x64 of W7, and would be more expensive). Plus, if I want to Hackintosh, I should be able to... but, I just want to make music, and play my stupid game at the end of the day to relax.

Now I just need to find the perfect, uber-quiet fluorescent green fans to replace those blue LED ones I am actually starting to get excited about making music again... been almost two months absent of... (sigh)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Tada!!!
NewEgg shopping list
And then..
The CPU Cooler! (will be lapped)
Seems to compare well...
Round-up of coolers
And then... it fits!
It will work with all DIMM filled!!!

OK.. yes, it is an overkill vid card. I cannot afford to do two machines. So, one partition for gaming, one for audio. Gotta be a way to tone down the resource impact of the card for the audio partition. I am only doing my own stuff these days, and as my health gets worse and worse, I get stuck at home more and more often. I will barebone it with existing drives I have until I can sell my Mac Pro 1st gen, then use that cash to finish it off with the second set of 6G ram, WD drives, and OS (buying the Vista 64 Ult now for the free upgrade to W7 Ult, which will include BOTH x86 and x64 of W7, and would be more expensive). Plus, if I want to Hackintosh, I should be able to... but, I just want to make music, and play my stupid game at the end of the day to relax.

Now I just need to find the perfect, uber-quiet fluorescent green fans to replace those blue LED ones I am actually starting to get excited about making music again... been almost two months absent of... (sigh)...
the parts look good, but my only concern would be the vid card. i recently just pulled out my 512mb vid card (again) cause it was pulling to much ram with the 3gb switch and having bfd 2 loaded up with 2 kicks, 2 snares, 5 cym, ride, hh, 4 toms. obviously in 64 bit this would not be a concern but of course 32 bit this would be a big issue. i would have to drop to 16 bit or drop sample layers dramatically in bfd 2. just wanted to let you know for a fyi.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-03-2009, 02:27 PM

oh- 32-bit OS is not an option. If it wont work in W7x64, it goes in the trash If it means dumping my 002 and buying something that saw 64-bit coming, oh, i dont know... how many years ago now? Well, so be it. To not use a sweet vid card because of Avid? HAHAHAHA!!!!
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
oh- 32-bit OS is not an option. If it wont work in W7x64, it goes in the trash If it means dumping my 002 and buying something that saw 64-bit coming, oh, i dont know... how many years ago now? Well, so be it. To not use a sweet vid card because of Avid? HAHAHAHA!!!!

ahhh a twisted sense of humor.... i love it!!

i understand, but since your on the duc, i had to post the answer in digi speak if you will

off topic::: you find a different drum vi or samples for bfd 2 for the prog kit you was looking for???

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 PM

Hi! So, I've been reading this thread quite a bit lately as I'm looking for a new PC for my 002R setup. Obviously i7 is the most alluring, powerful setup etc. But most of what you guys talk about is frankly not interesting to me. I probably don't have a certain aptitude that you all do. It's pretty over my head.

I record my own stuff, use some VSTs (Eleven, EZDrummer, etc) and like to do mixes usually hovering around the 24-track range. I'd like a rig I can put a UAD 1 or 2 card in.

Here's my real-world question: How much of this tweaking and adjusting and strategizing actually really matters, and how much is ... slobbering over speed for its own sake?

Related question: what's the cheapest, quickest, easiest way for a dumb-dumb like me to get a reliable Core i7 rig going without having to dig deep into the CPU/tech world and tweak the living sh-t out of everything? Is that unreasonable?

Thanks.