How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2016, 07:31 PM

Default broken button

Hi,

today i get this "broken" buttom out of the blue, in the first slot of the softkeys on the main module. First layout bank. I must say on my defense, that I`m pretty much gentle with my S6.

Is it reparable? does it have a fix? It still working, but seems faulty and i guess
that the next phase will be to it to get fully broken.

I`m totally on the support plan. How should I proceed?

pictures bellow. you can notice the buttom misaligned

best
r.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2670.jpg (47.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2669.jpg (47.8 KB, 0 views)
-----
Old 04-26-2016, 08:17 PM

Default Re: broken buttom

I think it's covered under warranty. Contact the shop where you bought the S6.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 04-27-2016, 04:32 PM

Default Re: broken button

won't be the last one
Old 04-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Avid

Yes this is covered so contact Avid Customer Support and they can help you.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 PM

I've had my automation module replaced twice because the same problem. My first module lasted 9 months, the second only 3-4 months. I predicted last year that these buttons would be a continuing problem. Still, I see two bits of good news now. First, Avid's support has been VERY responsive and they have shipped replacement modules to me immediately. Second, as you've discovered, it is not a total failure. The switch and LED under the button cap continues to work. A button cap may become wobbly or perhaps completely unattached but otherwise you can keep working. A possible third good bit of news, I think Avid has made a change. My third automation module arrived in February with a different implementation of those buttons. This module is like the others except the buttons are changed. They are the same size but the small window of light through each button that shines yellow, is bigger and brighter, easier to see at an angle. I really like that aspect. Each button's snap action feels better too, more crisp and predictable than before. They still do not have the crisp snap that "tact" switches usually have but they are better than my previous modules. So far my new automation module's buttons have held up perfectly while I beat on them. I am very sensitive to these changes, because I am paranoid that I'll break another one, but these are good so far.

Meanwhile though, my master module developed two broken buttons. Both can be pulled out of their holes easily. These are the same "old" style as my earlier automation modules. I am in the middle of a project and I have chosen to ignore them until later. The module functions perfectly well anyway (thank you, Avid and Gravity). A replacement will need software install and other setup so until a break comes, I will wait.

Avid will take a financial hit on this design flaw. For now, I strongly recommend that you purchase extended hardware coverage once your first year of support ends. You will need it!