Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-13-2017, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Random CPU Spikes (-9173 errors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmu View Post
I've been getting these all year but with PT 12.8 suddenly there's a new wrinkle. Usually when getting the error I hit return and continue working. No matter how many times in a session the error occurred I once again just hit return. Now though around the third time the error pops up, when I hit return and play all the audio plays back completely distorted. The only remedy is to restart PT. At least I don't have to restart the computer!

Anyone else have this situation?

My H/W Buffer size is set to 2048 samples
Disk Playback Cache Size set to 3gb

MBP2015 3.1gz i7 16gb ram
OSX Sierra
PT 12.8
Apollo 8p
Got this not in 12.8, but a couple of earlier versions (forgotten which). I'd just go to the playback engine, change the buffer size and then back to what I'd been using. No need to restart PT. But I got that issue at lower buffer settings.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM

Default Re: AAE-9173 - Ran Out Of CPU Power

The fix for me was to update the drivers for my USB audio interface (PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL). I got Pro Tools to start acting right by unplugging everything USB, then installing ASIO4All and then plugging things back in one by one until I got to the audio interface. That ruined everything, so it isolated the box as the source of my frustrations.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:32 PM

I'm writing to say
It's so bs

I am waiting for a restart from more 9173 crAp
So I'm writing to say it's pure wack a mole
Good
Luck

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagoyee View Post
I keep getting this error with ProTools 11 and 12. I even tried a completely blank project with 1 track and no audio even recorded on it, no plug-ins, etc. I open task manager, push play in PT and I can see the CPU usage stay at 5-7%. Still says I'm running out of CPU power. Uninstalled and re-installed 11 and 12 (one at a time) and it doesn't fix it.

Quad core i7-4770S @ 3.10 GHz

I don't get it. It never used to do this. It's bad enough it takes 10 minutes for PT to start and another 10 minutes to open even a small project now (which never happened before either), and in the end it's always a AAE-9173.

See attached screen shot. Any help would be great.

I should also add, that closing ProTools (only having this blank project open) is also taking several minutes.
Hi Bagoyee,

I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not sure why no one has mentioned this to you yet but I thought you should know... This has been a HUGE problem in ProTools since the first 64 bit version was released years ago. There's clearly a fundamental problem with it's resource allocation logic design. I've personally had one or another ticket open with various support staff at Avid for it continuously for literally years now due to this problem. At first they claimed there WAS no problem. Then they tried to play the "well, obviously YOU'RE doing something wrong!" game or just ignore it and hope you would go away. Finally they had to start admitting it but "management" refuses to assign the talent necessary to actually fix it. Over the years I've met enough Avid folks in private to know that they've always known they had a very serious problem but they'll often flat out lie about it "in public" (like here on the DUC). Avid is world famous for flat out lying. I was at NAMM LA this year and saw various big name engineers have -9XXX series crashes (your -9173 is one type, there are other versions all with -9XXX designations) in real-time during their presentations and openly insult Avid's amazing incompetence to the roaring approval of an audience who is clearly battling the problem themselves (a certain superstar engineer had three -9XXX crashes on stage in less than two minutes). There are obvious clues as to what the problem is. I've personally performed countless experiments at Avid's support staff's request (mostly very good people who have no control over the problem and are trying their hardest to help) only to have the results disappear into the famous Avid abyss, probably totally ignored. At this point, the only thing that makes sense is to consider it a basic attribute of Pro Tools because Louis Hernandez (Avid's CEO) is NEVER going to spend the required money to fix it. He won't even fund S6 s/w development enough to activate all of it's basic functions years after it's release. Sorry to be such a downer but it's not my fault Avid is Avid...
Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 AM

I was plagued with the CPU error code the moment I upgraded to Windows 10. Tried everything. The only thing that fixed it was going back to Windows 7. But this problem occurs across both mac and windows. So who knows. I recently had a bug where I had to trash prefs otherwise PT would crash that has just gone away on its own.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Hi Bagoyee,

I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not sure why no one has mentioned this to you yet but I thought you should know... This has been a HUGE problem in ProTools since the first 64 bit version was released years ago. There's clearly a fundamental problem with it's resource allocation logic design. I've personally had one or another ticket open with various support staff at Avid for it continuously for literally years now due to this problem. At first they claimed there WAS no problem. Then they tried to play the "well, obviously YOU'RE doing something wrong!" game or just ignore it and hope you would go away. Finally they had to start admitting it but "management" refuses to assign the talent necessary to actually fix it. Over the years I've met enough Avid folks in private to know that they've always known they had a very serious problem but they'll often flat out lie about it "in public" (like here on the DUC). Avid is world famous for flat out lying. I was at NAMM LA this year and saw various big name engineers have -9XXX series crashes (your -9173 is one type, there are other versions all with -9XXX designations) in real-time during their presentations and openly insult Avid's amazing incompetence to the roaring approval of an audience who is clearly battling the problem themselves (a certain superstar engineer had three -9XXX crashes on stage in less than two minutes). There are obvious clues as to what the problem is. I've personally performed countless experiments at Avid's support staff's request (mostly very good people who have no control over the problem and are trying their hardest to help) only to have the results disappear into the famous Avid abyss, probably totally ignored. At this point, the only thing that makes sense is to consider it a basic attribute of Pro Tools because Louis Hernandez (Avid's CEO) is NEVER going to spend the required money to fix it. He won't even fund S6 s/w development enough to activate all of it's basic functions years after it's release. Sorry to be such a downer but it's not my fault Avid is Avid...
Well that's certainly disheartening.
Last week I sent Avid a test session that absolutely recreates this error in full force using nothing but stock plugs and they sent me a response that they would test it out there, which was kinda getting my hopes up. But from what you're saying here, it appears they've known about this bug for a long time and simply don't wish to give it priority.

Which, given the number of threads on this forum dealing with this issue, seems pretty hard to believe.

I have to believe someone is working on this! I mean really - I've got to - given the exhausting number of hours I've lost troubleshooting, freezing tracks, rebooting, changing hardware, plunging down the abyss of rabbit hole band-aid solutions, etc. The other day I had to do nearly an entire remix because I just couldn't get the original session to function beyond a certain point for any productive amount of time. That's some serious lost time! And from what I can tell I'm far from alone in this.

Gotta have faith man, gotta have faith...
Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloj View Post
I was plagued with the CPU error code the moment I upgraded to Windows 10. Tried everything. The only thing that fixed it was going back to Windows 7. But this problem occurs across both mac and windows. So who knows. I recently had a bug where I had to trash prefs otherwise PT would crash that has just gone away on its own.
Did going back to W7 seriously work for you? (also which version - 32 or 64b) If I were to know for sure that was a viable solution, I would consider taking a day off to give that a try if it gave me back system stability.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:52 AM

Well, we have a new update. v12.8.2

...and the issue remains unchanged. Still there.

-sigh-
Old 10-18-2017, 10:05 AM

I've kinda given up hope that the 9173's will be solved anytime soon. We've been dealing with them for several years now, some versions seem to have more of them than others, but they've happened in every version of 11 and 12 I've used, across multiple computers with different OS versions and different interfaces. I'd love to be wrong here, but I don't think we're going to see a fix for it in 12.8.3 or 12.9 or maybe even 13.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder6oy View Post
Well that's certainly disheartening.
Last week I sent Avid a test session that absolutely recreates this error in full force using nothing but stock plugs and they sent me a response that they would test it out there, which was kinda getting my hopes up. But from what you're saying here, it appears they've known about this bug for a long time and simply don't wish to give it priority.

Which, given the number of threads on this forum dealing with this issue, seems pretty hard to believe.

I have to believe someone is working on this! I mean really - I've got to - given the exhausting number of hours I've lost troubleshooting, freezing tracks, rebooting, changing hardware, plunging down the abyss of rabbit hole band-aid solutions, etc. The other day I had to do nearly an entire remix because I just couldn't get the original session to function beyond a certain point for any productive amount of time. That's some serious lost time! And from what I can tell I'm far from alone in this.

Gotta have faith man, gotta have faith...
Hi Wonder6oy, Yeah, I've tried to have faith. I've spent several years working on this with the great Bill Darm and with him gone now, am now trying with another great guy at Avid named Manuel. They really get it and are trying as hard as they can to help. But Avid essentially blows them off as well. The "development team" tells them to have us try things, we spend a ton of time trying to help by trying them (I'm not kidding you when I say I've spent HUNDREDS of hours on this at this point - sounds like you have too) and - nothing. Time and time again - nothing. Occasionally they'll actually send some suggestions through the support guys and they're so ridiculous ("... is your computer plugged in sir?") you can see why no progress has been made. It's hard to believe anyone is actually working on it. At this point, I believe they have made a determination that fixing it isn't cost effective and are just going to ride the storm. They're not just screwing us, look at the Waves "Signature" collection. I've personally (at NAMM as I mentioned - I'm no big shot; I don't actually know any of these guys) watched about 2/3s of those same guys HUGE frustration at Avid and this problem as they felt like idiots trying to demonstrate something to a large crowd while their small demo session throws -9XXX error after error. If they're letting THOSE guys hang out to dry, what hope do I have? It's weird, most of the Avid folks I have access to are outstanding, hard working, honest people. And Hernandez actually fired the Avid management team including the absolute worst of them, Chris Gahagan, an honest to God scumbag of the first magnitude. Yet the company is still the lying, incompetent entity at war with its own customers it's always been. Louis Hernandez is obviously the real problem. And since he's never going to fire himself, we who have a huge investment in Avid stuff and therefore can't escape, are simply screwed. Avid didn't get delisted from the stock market under investigation by the SEC by accident. I don't see any reason to have faith but thanks for the positive thought!