Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-18-2018, 01:53 PM

Default Re: ProTools 12 Ultimate - CPU Overload without playing

Make shure all your plugins are up to date . Also you didint mention anything about the idle state . Im running High sierra here 10.13.4 . Perfectly fine no cpu usage on idle and no wierd things on workflow .
Old 04-18-2018, 02:02 PM

That's exactly what I though to do tomorrow in the case of Avid Plugin. Hopefully it has been fixed in the last update. But honestly, if works, it will fix just a little percentage of the problem, because as many other issues that this version has, the problem is ProTools 12.

And BTW, I think we all agree with this, we are professionals who work with a software which is extremely expensive. We are not beta tester that work for free fo Avid. I though that I have paid for a professional software which works, and unfortunately it is not the case yet! I had a software that worked, ProTools 10.3.10, but now the new and promising version it's not working, and is full of bugs. This is very disgusting after have paid a reinstatement of $890 for the software, have change my whole system because PT12, plus upgrades for all my plugins. It's pretty unfair my dear colleagues.
Interfaces 3 x 192 I/O + 1 x Apogee Rosetta 800
Logic Audio 10.4
Old 04-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Hi Jesus,
I'm in High Sierra 10.13.3. I will try to update tonight. I have not done before, because I was waiting to deliver an album, but today I sent the last the "****" mastering for iTunes. So, now I can do updates with no fear.

I let you know if something changes with the update.
Logic Audio 10.4
Old 04-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquic View Post
Hi There,
Finally I could perform the different tests with the plugins. Indeed I have found a plugin that could be the cause of a percentage of the problem, exactly 15% of the problem, the plugin is: "Abbey Rever Plates" from Waves. Then I have found another plugin, this time from Avid, that is the culprit of another 3% of the problem: the reverb "Revibe II". In the mix in which I have been making my tests I had two instances of Revibe II, so removing those two instances I have saved a 6% from the CPU overload.

/snip/

Is it a problem of de-normalizing plugins or ProTools 12?

/snip/

Any ideas? People from Avid.... Are you there?

The way to tell if its a denormalization problem is to put a dither plugin in front of the plugins you suspect. If CPU usage drops then it likely is.

This is a user forum, there are not a lot of folk from Avid here, and they mostly deal with issues with licensing or coordinating stuff with Avid support. If you want that you should file a support case.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The way to tell if its a denormalization problem is to put a dither plugin in front of the plugins you suspect. If CPU usage drops then it likely is.

This is a user forum, there are not a lot of folk from Avid here, and they mostly deal with issues with licensing or coordinating stuff with Avid support. If you want that you should file a support case.
I don't understand why this problem does or should even exist at this point? How many years is it now? Why are they not fixing things like this? How many years does it take?

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
I don't understand why this problem does or should even exist at this point? How many years is it now? Why are they not fixing things like this? How many years does it take?

I have argued that for a long time. There might be algorithmic/signal handling/purity concerns... since what you would likely doing is deliberately dither/pollute extreme low level signals to avoid the CPU running into this denormalization. It’s not a “bug” in the sense that the CPU is doing what is expected and the code is running correctly, but that really is not good enough. I would have hoped Avid had thought about this in AAX and helped provide tools for developers to handle it (including avoiding plugin computational all when the input is intended to be effectively nothing). This does seem to have improved (and not that we have more CPU cores?), but still lurks as a potential problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 PM

Make sure you are optimising your bios for protools disabling cpu states, turbo boost etc... Also some hard drives when they are on there way out will cause cpu problems believe it or not. I recently found a couple of drives that was hanging protools especially when doing searches in workspace. It could also be your graphics card but obviously try disable plugins first before looking to hardware. Freeze your tracks and commit to free up resources.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:23 AM

Hi, I do not have as much technical knowledge as you guys, but I've been using ProTools since its version 4, back in the year 1997-1998 if my memory does not fail, and this has never happened before. The processor was never a problem for ProTools because that's what the DSP cards were for, to process. And at any case, when we all started loading plugins in native mode because our sessions used up the capacity of our DSPs, at least in my particular case, the only thing that was running out in my system were the 192 voices, because I have always worked with large sessions. But never in my life the processing capacity of the CPU was 60%, it never reached beyond 25% -30% in the most complicated session.

In truth, I do not have as much technical knowledge as you do, but as we say in my country: "It does not enter in my head" that my current system, flagship of a company, with 64 gigs of RAM which is more than 200% of the RAM that I have ever had in any previous computer, and that fast PCIe SSD hard drive, 12 Cores, etc ... have these CPU consumptions so exaggerated, REMEMBER ... Without even doing play. This is really annoying. Who is in charge of Avid at this moment, Homer Simpson?
Logic Audio 10.4
Old 04-20-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
but as we say in my country: "It does not enter in my head"

Haha, “no me entra en la cabeza” o “no me cabe en la cabeza”

This haven’t been mentioned as far as I know....

Have you trashed Pro tools preferences yet?

Can’t hurt and it might just help

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...s-preferences/
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Who is in charge of Avid at this moment, Homer Simpson?
Not at the moment but it seems he was for a long time. The last 4-5 years were crazy, they are doing a better job of right now.