Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Default Re: TDM Virus Indigo to AAX

Relaxo
Virus is not the Greatest One. Clearly you're not auditioning enough synths. You gotta get off the Avid KoolAid man. Your best synth libraries are all gonna be from native DSP or from outboard synths that are not tied to Pro Tools proprietary gear. That way when things CHANGE there is-

NO INTERRUPTION OF SERVICE

So like I said the safest way to go is a tabletop Virus
Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
Virus is not the Greatest One. Clearly you're not auditioning enough synths.
Or get another computer with Vienna Ensemble Pro/Mainstage/Kore/V-Stack
for your synths. BTW, Sylenth1 eats Virus for lunch but don't tell anyone..it's a secret! :)
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM

I agree with relaxo, none compare to the GREATEST ONE and I've tried enough of the damn things. It works great on the C24 too, none of that RSI crap you get with all the other VIs after you've had a long twiddle.

...More to the point, how will the alternatives allow me to recall the multitude of sessions I've used the GREATEST ONE in?

+1 for an AAX Indigo (...and Amp/Echo Farm.)
Old 12-14-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post

+1 for an AAX Indigo
+1

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 12-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Arrow Re: TDM Virus Indigo to AAX

Sure, whatever +1 for an AAX Indigo

But to call the Virus the GREATEST ONE is somewhat naive. The Virus is just one piece of the PIE that makes up the LIBRARY of necessary synths. It can't produce the sound of a Prophet '08. They aren't even related. Not even comparable. It also can't make the sounds of Razor, this is a plug in that challenges Access. And its $80 add on- a lot less expensive.
So yes if everything works with your rig and the stars are aligned then hold your breath for the almighty AAX Indigo.
But in the meantime I'm gonna keep using my reliable Outboard synth gear and VSTSoftSynths that have no foolish and vulnerable attachment to some cumbersome $10K proprietary and stationary pci-e card that is made for a different purpose. That's rediculous.

There's a better way, its listed below
Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Diccer, we don't need a lecture thanks. I know how to run VIs.... And how does you're clunky, inefficient rewire slave method provide a "better way" of running Indigo? Soundflower? You know about VE Pro right?

You're completely missing or misunderstanding the point. A lot of us NEED to recall sessions that use Indigo. I have dozens if not hundreds of cues that have used it. Without an AAX version, I have a problem

Besides that, a LOT of us really LIKE Indigo. It sounds every bit as good to my old Virus B, and is a lot more convenient.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 PM

Marsdy
You're right. The Rewire method is no good for Indigo. Its really for the IEP or Air Effects running on the non HD version of Pro Tools 10 so that this studio software can be played in a Live setting
But there is nothing clunky about the Rewire method. It's all virtual buses and there is very minimal delay, I studied it on timeline tests. Its not Soundflower though, there are much better virtual software mixers for this role. Soundflower is free, that's why I posted that option.

So I use Rewire plus the RTAS TI software for the usb Virus TI Desktop. This works really well for me. Sorry you guys have past Indigo session that you're tied to..
Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Question Re: TDM Virus Indigo to AAX

Marsdy
So regarding VE Pro.. Are you saying Pro Tools can select VE Pro as its audio device? Or that running as a Plug In VE Pro can port audio to Another daw that is Also running in Master Mode? VE Tech support said it couldn't,.. but I'd love to hear otherwise
Old 12-15-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
Marsdy
So regarding VE Pro.. Are you saying Pro Tools can select VE Pro as its audio device? Or that running as a Plug In VE Pro can port audio to Another daw that is Also running in Master Mode? VE Tech support said it couldn't,.. but I'd love to hear otherwise
VE Pro is a plugin in Pro Tools, it doesn't show up as an audio device. Basically it's a plug in host and since version 5 you can send audio from the DAW to VE Pro. You could then use an AU/VST plugin in Pro Tools for example.

I doubt you could use VE Pro to port audio from one DAW to another but I've not tried it.

Rewire works fine except it can only use one core on a Mac. This was a total bottleneck for me. You can't get that many streams of audio going before it caves in.

The RTAS TI software for the usb Virus TI Desktop looks great but it just adds to the cost of moving to HDX and doesn't solve the session recall issue.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 AM

+1 for an AAX Indigo (if you ever want me to move past 9.xx, Avid)

We're not discussing the virtues of the different synths, we're discussing what can and cannot be recalled. Virus T1 is great. I have it but it's not the Indigo. Different beasts doing different jobs. As Marsdy said, a T1 doesn't help recall an Indigo.

I currently have to keep a legacy rig (g5 - pro tools 7.x) to recall Atmosphere, Trilogy and Kontakt 2 & 3, which at least have new equivalents and which I now host in VE. If I could run Indigo in VE then at least there would be a way out of this maze...but then if I need to trade in our TDM cards in a HW exchange, I won't be able to recall any sessions preceding 9.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12.1.138 | Mac Studio M1 Max (64 GB) | Ventura 13.6.3 | Clarett+ 2Pre

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD6 PCIx | Mac Pro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Magma PE6R4-I | 192 i/o |

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD3 PCIe | MacPro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Apogee Rosetta 200 | C|24