Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 AM

Default How exactly I should install Snow Leopard?

I already have PT 8.0.3 on my computer. Today I got Snow Leopard dvd.
Can somebody give me a clear hint (or link) about how I should do things proper?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Default Re: How exactly I should install Snow Leopard?

The absolutely safest would be to put in a brand new drive, install Snow Leopard on that, update to 10.6.2 with the COMBO updater from Apple. Then install 8.0.3, the full installer.

I just did the same thing myself about 4 nights ago, but I didn't leave my new Snow Leopard installation "clean" I chose to migrate my applications, settings, and files basically out of laziness and not wanting to have to reinstall ALL my other apps. So far I haven't had any serious issues and this new System partition has even fixed my ability to use my 002 for OSX system sounds. I haven't tested ProTools too much yet, so I am still not confident all is well. So far, I have noticed that old sessions take a long time to open up and Audio MIDI Setup is acting a little strange but is not causing any MIDI problems. What I figure is that if I have any serious ProTools issues, then I will create a new partition (with a new system) just for ProTools and keep it mean and lean.

So far I am pretty happy with Snow Leopard and I have only booted back into 10.5.8 once for a couple minutes...
Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Thank you flommer.

I use Mac only for music, I have amost no ideea about the sistem

So when I install Snow.... do I have to reinstall all the programs?
And do I have to reinstall PT? And to install & authorise again all the plusgins?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goga View Post
Thank you flommer.

I use Mac only for music, I have amost no ideea about the sistem

So when I install Snow.... do I have to reinstall all the programs?
And do I have to reinstall PT? And to install & authorise again all the plusgins?
What I recommend is to install an entirely new System folder on a new Hard Drive (or on a different partition where you have room) The advantage is that you still have access to your old system if you are having problems with Snow.. This is very important if you need to be able to work even if you are having difficulty with the new OS. All you have to do is hold down the "option" key during boot up and you will be able to choose which system disk to boot from.

So if you do this, when you install Snow leopard to the new disk/partition, you will be given an option during installation to migrate settings from your old system to the new system. If you don't migrate, then you will be starting with a completely fresh OS with no other apps installed and you will have to install everything else manually. This is the option that stands the highest chance of success, because there are no old settings that could interfere with the new OS. You should update to 10.6.2 using the Apple COMBO updater before doing any other installations.

If you choose to migrate, as I did out of laziness, then you don't have to reinstall everything. But you will need to clean uninstall ProTools, and reinstall 8.0.3. At least I think that is a better idea than trying to upgrade the existing PT installation.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
If you do a complete reinstall, you first uninstall, which means you need the PT8 DVD to install from scratch. Trust me, I upgraded to snow leopard without reinstalling PT 8.0.3 on three different machines and all is well. __________________
Obsidian Dragon
AND THIS:

Quote:
If you choose to migrate, as I did out of laziness, then you don't have to reinstall everything. But you will need to clean uninstall ProTools, and reinstall 8.0.3. At least I think that is a better idea than trying to upgrade the existing PT installation.
flommer

* I don't have any other drives ( except the main drive and the second I orderd that came with the Mac Pro).
* I upgrated to PT8 via web, and the same to PT8.0.3, so I don't have a disc.

Can I still just install SN over 8.0.3?

Confused
Old 01-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goga View Post
AND THIS:

* I don't have any other drives ( except the main drive and the second I orderd that came with the Mac Pro).
* I upgrated to PT8 via web, and the same to PT8.0.3, so I don't have a disc.

Can I still just install SN over 8.0.3?

Confused
There is a full 8.0.3 download installer in your My Digi account. At least there was in mine.

If you are not going to install snow on a new partition/drive, then I would:

BACKUP YOUR CURRENT SYSTEM

Clean uninstall PT

Upgrade to Snow Leopard

Update SL to 10.6.2 (COMBO UPDATER)

Install 8.0.3 with the downloadable full installer

You should seriously reconsider and get a new HD. It is one of the great advantages of the MacPro, to be able to put new storage in and out of there so easily. An excellent value for a system disk is a 640GB Western Digital Caviar black. They are approx $75 at New egg these days..

I think you should also maybe reconsider installing SL at all. If you are just using your Mac for ProTools, then there aren't any specific advantages to SL. My Mac does seem slightly more responsive but this is by no means a major jump. If your current installation is stable, then you are asking for trouble by messing with it...
Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 PM

flommer<thank you!
The way I understand it from you is that I would not have to reinstall all the third-plugins, even though I have to uninstall PT and install PT 8.0.3...right?

When I ordered my Mac Pro, I decided to order the second drive also from Apple (I was not aware at that time that people are considering this overpriced). So what you are saying is that I need a third drive (like 640GB Western Digital Caviar black) because it's a better option and because I need it?

My system is stabile enough now, so I definetly will consider waiting, especially if you say that there is no major jump. It took me 3 month to get this system stabile.

Thank you for you advices and patience.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:26 AM

I think you should wait.
Maybe Digi will come with some improvment. Notice also that there's a lot a people here saying that SL works just fine.

And who knows, they may also explain better how to do the install.