Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 PM

Default Re: anyone waiting for new mac pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
We bought this 14U rack, it was just under $2,500 US with shipping. But they are in Nashville, Tennessee.

SCS 14U Post ISO Rack
unfortunately with shipping and customs fees that would work out to about 4.5k aud, so it makes more sense to buy the same brand locally with local warranty for 3.5k aud and lose 2 rack space.. i think i can make do with 12.. it's only for the fanned audio i/os and the sonnet expander.

Everything else i have is quiet:)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:09 PM

New Mac Pro’s should be announced this year at WWDC. I think that’s June or July.

If you are worried about 32 bit apps, then never buy a new computer again. That’s been outdated for over ten years. Time to to move on. Sorry to say.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 02-19-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
New Mac Pro’s should be announced this year at WWDC. I think that’s June or July.

If you are worried about 32 bit apps, then never buy a new computer again. That’s been outdated for over ten years. Time to to move on. Sorry to say.
32 bit apps to a large extent don't so much depend on the computer but the operating system. There's talk that the next version of OSX will do away with the ability to run 32 bit apps.

QAPLA!
Old 03-28-2018, 11:21 AM

I'm very interested in the next mac pro, but I feel like apple doesn't have much interest in focusing on what audio professionals need...and/or to some extent their hands are tied.

I'm testing out a 8700k hack right now, and if apple could implement a high thermal dissipation design and allow some degree of overclocking- this is the machine that most audio people want/need. Especially if there is a 8 core 1151 proc coming...

To me it seems the problem is also with intel. They are doing two things that are bad for apple and not great for us- one is making it so that overclocking is relatively the norm at the top performance tier, and the other is making the top tier chips the most overclockable while simultainiously having the most cores.

IMO the best audio machine, particularly for low latency and minimal 9172's is one around 8-10 cores, 5GHZ or greater and less than ~150w TDP. This is completely possible with coffee lake cores. At 5Ghz the 8700k doesn't go over 110w or over 75C ever (with noctua NH-D15S it's also pretty quiet). There really is no reason intel couldn't sell these as 5ghz processors other than you do need more than a stock heat sink/fan especially in a warm environment.

But then when you move to x299/skylake, the most overclockable chip is the 7980xe...

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/h...-guide.229353/

As impressive as that is (GB4/64= 5910/65,348 !)...18 cores is A LOT, and you really need custom water cooling to dissipate 340w TDP! Obviously this is going to be noisy (not to mention you need to add a couple thousand BTU of AC to offset this little space heater). But then the CPUs below the 7980xe don't overclock as well as the top tier chip! I have an AC controlled machine closet and that much power consumption still doesn't appeal to me...

In any case I'm interested to see what apple comes up with. I would love to move back to real macs...
Old 04-06-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
No one who knows anything about what Apple may be planning can say anything with any certainty about what they are going to release or when.

I would say that the promise of a "modular" computer from Apple is a pipe dream. That's not what they have been releasing for the last 10 years or so, and isn't the direction that they are moving. In fact they have been moving away from modular computer systems to the all-in-ones like the iMacs, Mac Minis, laptops and even the newMacPro is an all in one, non modular offering.

Modularity is what PCs are built around, being able to swap components and upgrade with industry standard configurations is what makes PCs much more flexible than Apple computers.

It would be a complete shift is corporate mindset for Apple to go back to producing a modular system.
I'm evolving my definition of modular, especially considering much improved I/O speeds like TB3, and external modular technology like eGPU. When (if) Apple in fact releases their promised modular, I agree it likely will not resemble the cheesegrater nor old-school Windows gaming hardware.

What I really want from a modular Mac Pro today is headless, server-class CPU (i.e. Xeon or modern equivalent), and easy user upgradeability for internal ram and primary storage. User or shop-serviceable socketed CPU is fine. The rest can be accomplished through smart engineering of external external enclosures, e.g. "snapping" together in a stable manner and sharing a power supply, whether built in-house or through 3rd parties.

Sky

Mac Studio M2 Max 12/30/64GB/4TB, RME UFX III, Pro Tools Ultimate, MacOS Ventura.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:59 PM

This is an interesting read on the topic:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/ap...orkflows/amp/?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-08-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
This is an interesting read on the topic:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/ap...orkflows/amp/?
Yes I had not seen this thread and yesterday started another thread in the the Pro Tools HDX and HD Native Systems Mac forum about that article .

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398465

So now launch will not be before 2019 It does appear though that it Apple is putting some effort into as well as listening to Pro Users and It will be Modular ( whatever that actually means in Apples conception ?)

And in answer to the OP question No---- I hope my machine will be good for another 5 years

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 04-08-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 AM

Been waiting for 4 years now... totally unacceptable for Tim Cook to ignore the pro market and not release updated pro machines... for a company that size and that amount of cash on hand, this is just bad leadership. No excuse for it.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
Been waiting for 4 years now... totally unacceptable for Tim Cook to ignore the pro market and not release updated pro machines... for a company that size and that amount of cash on hand, this is just bad leadership. No excuse for it.
It's not like they owe you anything. The pro market is not entitled to being catered to by Apple.
And I don't exactly see Apple in a position where accusing the CEO of "bad leadership" makes any sense at all. They're in a pretty good place. The money is not in the Pro market but in the mass market, and that's where they shifted to. Totally viable and very profitable decision.
I don't like it either, and I hope they give some love to the pro market again. But I totally get why they didn't for years.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 05-30-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
It's not like they owe you anything. The pro market is not entitled to being catered to by Apple.
And I don't exactly see Apple in a position where accusing the CEO of "bad leadership" makes any sense at all. They're in a pretty good place. The money is not in the Pro market but in the mass market, and that's where they shifted to. Totally viable and very profitable decision.
I don't like it either, and I hope they give some love to the pro market again. But I totally get why they didn't for years.
And let's no forget the fact that the term "Pro market user", covers a wide array of different configuration needs and wants, many many of which are in fact well served by, and simply going about their business using current configuration Mac Pros, iMacs, or MacBook Pros and who are not coming on Forum boards complaining about Apple . The reality is it's only a relatively small subset of users that actually need access to internal PCIe cards or Ram etc.
No doubt some of those users have felt unserved by the trashcans , but hopefully this new configuration design will satisfy many in that situation. If not there are in fact alternatives. The fact that Apple is currently one of the most profitable companies in the world, pretty much reflects the polar opposite of "bad leadership"

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...