Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-20-2011, 04:32 PM

Unhappy Defective Disc? 8.0.3. on W7

Hi folks, I bought a copy of PT 8.0.3. to install in my Win 7 machine, and have tried several times to install it with no luck. I read elsewhere on DUC, that others were having better luck copying the contents of the physical disc to the Desktop, then installing. And yes, I have the physical disc because I am bandwidth limited, so downloading something this large is not an option.

Well I tried to do just that, copy the DVD to the Desktop, and the transfer gets hung up about 1/3 into the process stating that windows cannot read CAB file, right around the same spot the 'regular' install method fails, only that error is a 'cyclic redundancy check' error.

Before I have to delve into SANDRA reports, hardware setup, compatibility charts etc.etc. Shouldn't I be able to do a simple thing like transferring the contents from the DVD disc to the Desktop

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Defective Disc? 8.0.3. on W7

8.0.4 was the first win 7 "qualified" version but it wasn't very reliable. But try copying the DVD to the root of the C drive, not the desktop. That won't solve the problem, though.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
8.0.4 was the first win 7 "qualified" version but it wasn't very reliable. But try copying the DVD to the root of the C drive, not the desktop. That won't solve the problem, though.
I had the same problem once with the .cab file.

sw rec, why won't it solve the problem? xcopy copied the DVD without errors, as posted, but it still would not install (as posted) and now I'm trying Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier and it is copying to the W7 download folder. Will that not work either? It appears there are errors in _setup.dll (8 read errors and 4.0 KB corrupted so far).

Evidently Avid charges $40.00 to make a support appointment and it might be worth it if I knew they would provide a download link.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Thanks for posting a response, here's an update:
Went and downloaded the 8.0.4. update, but couldn't use the download manager, as it would not start for me, so I used the alternative link to the download that Avid provides.

So far so good, but went to install 8.0.4., and it tells me that it doesn't see a version of ProTools on my machine
So I reinstalled 8.0.3. without the Creative suite checked, as that is what's causing the two previous install problems. (convinced now disc is defective)

Now I think I'm in the clear, and go to install the 8.0.4. update... Not gonna happen because now it says that I don't have a validated copy of ProTools on my computer
I'm thinking because I didn't use the download manager to download 8.0.4. that it somehow won't work?

Thanks for your help so far, but I again am at a loss, anymore suggestions? When exactly do you validate an install?
I hope it isn't after a successful launch of 8.0.3., cause that ain't gonna happen, crashes Windows 7 every time

Cheers (sorta)