Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2003, 07:19 AM

Default 2 ProTools versions on same computer?

I have a G4 tower and an ibook that both allow you to boot into either OSX or OS 9.2. For a variety of reasons there are times I want to use an older non-OSX compatible ProTools version (with all those non OSX plugs I have) and other times I have to have the features only available with OSX and 6.1. Can I boot into OS 9.2 and install ProTools 5.whatever and then boot into OSX and install ProTools 6.1 without any conflicts, so that I can use either version with the same Mix hardware? I have a similar plan with the dual OS ibook. On the road I'll be using an Mbox that I'll sometimes want to use with the OS 9.2 version of ProTools LE that will work with a ton of non OSX RTAS plugs I have and other times I'll want to use the 6.1 version for the ReWire implementation only available in 6.1. Any problem installing both versions of the Mbox ProTools LE software in the same ibook?
Thanks
Old 07-04-2003, 08:10 AM

Default Re: 2 ProTools versions on same computer?

no problem in either case, go for it.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:07 AM

Default Re: 2 ProTools versions on same computer?

Thanks. I've already ordered both computers 'cause I need em anyway, but it's great to know that the wild idea of 2 operating systems running different ProTools versions with different plug-in assortments in the same computer will work. Being able to go back and forth from one operating system to the other so easily and all ProTool sessions being so platform and operating system independent is really convenient. In my case I've even got the additional complexity of using a 2.4 Ghz PC for sessions involving huge CPU demands, like lots of edit changes and plugs and lots of Propellerhead stuff with ProTools at the same time (using Re-wire). Will things ever stabilize enough so that one computer will have the same OS long enough so that one system will do everything without constantly spending a fortune upgrading? Lucky that Mac has this dual OS option on some of their computers.