Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 PM

Default Omni Preamp fix?

I have two omnis, both rev A boards with the latest firmware that both exhibit the quiet preamp issue, one has barely any juice on 1 and the other on 2. I believe they are both out of warranty at this point so I was wondering if there was a definitive fix for this problem or will it just keep happening? theres an authorized repair place I will be taking them too, but at this point I may just ditch them completely and move on to bigger and better things.

-Max

MKD Creative
Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Omni Preamp fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
I have two omnis, both rev A boards with the latest firmware that both exhibit the quiet preamp issue, one has barely any juice on 1 and the other on 2. I believe they are both out of warranty at this point so I was wondering if there was a definitive fix for this problem or will it just keep happening? theres an authorized repair place I will be taking them too, but at this point I may just ditch them completely and move on to bigger and better things.

-Max
I would call avid. They used to be really good about fixing issues out of warranty. I had a fault hd accel card replaced 4 years out of warranty because of a know issue. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 AM

Just wanted to update this thread with some really important info for people who have trouble with the preamp section in their omnis

my dealer sent my unit back to avid (1 year out of warranty) and avid said that first run model omnis have an issue with hot plugging microphones between the front back etc. and phantom power, where a "chip" (not sure which one) fails, they opted to replace my entire unit with a newer REV E unit as opposed to replacing just the pre amp section. ALL of the failed units I have ever experience (which is 4) were REV D and built on 9/27/10 this newer model was made in june of 11 and so far so good.

Also I am happy that Avid did eventually go the extra mile for this on me, and I think Dale Pro Audio in NYC for their excellent service, they were about to buy a new one out of pocket for me because they felt awful about how much trouble I have had.

MKD Creative
Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 AM

I have the exact same issue and I am out of warranty as well but I did send a link to this page to Avid.
Here's to hoping!

Last edited by puffin; 09-22-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM

I had the same issue with faulty REV D unit and I return it back and got a new one REV E1.
The new omni unit mic-pre's work very well however the inputs 1,2,3,4 in the Omni back (line mode) give me only the half of the track volume (signal) while the keyboards at the max volume level.
if I use the same keyboards and the same cables with RME FF800 I can easy get the full volume in the track signal while the keyboard at the moderate level only!!.
I have changed all the setting at omni control panel (pref level etc...) but it's still the same.
I contacted my dealer and waiting for the feedback.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhafaji View Post
I had the same issue with faulty REV D unit and I return it back and got a new one REV E1.
The new omni unit mic-pre's work very well however the inputs 1,2,3,4 in the Omni back (line mode) give me only the half of the track volume (signal) while the keyboards at the max volume level.
if I use the same keyboards and the same cables with RME FF800 I can easy get the full volume in the track signal while the keyboard at the moderate level only!!.
I have changed all the setting at omni control panel (pref level etc...) but it's still the same.
I contacted my dealer and waiting for the feedback.
i know you have posted on your problem before but i'll ask again...are your settings on the Omni and FF800 set up the same? both at +4dbu or -10dbV? as i'm sure you know that the FF800 has a high gain that would skew things between the 2 units if that's what you are usin'...anyway just throwin' that out there in case it hasn't been already...

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
i know you have posted on your problem before but i'll ask again...are your settings on the Omni and FF800 set up the same? both at +4dbu or -10dbV? as i'm sure you know that the FF800 has a high gain that would skew things between the 2 units if that's what you are usin'...anyway just throwin' that out there in case it hasn't been already...
The FF800 and Omni both -10dbV.

Thanks
Ak
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM

My Omni is out of warranty and Avid is now calling this a known issue and advises not to hot swap 48v mics, which is always good advice...
It is a free fix for me, just the shipping one way to Avid HQ.
Also, the customer service and tech suppport (Louis H.) were awesome right from Avid itself!
Brian Power, CAS
www.thehideoutstudios.com
Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM

That's awesome! I believe Louis is actually my dealers contact there so he is very aware of the issue. Really glad they are sorting it out for you

MKD Creative
Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 PM

hi ....

same issue with my omni

problem : I´m in germany, so the support is not great like in the states ...

can somebody forward an email@dress to an avid support that´s not a phone

or any kind of computer???

so they can get me a support for europe..

thank´s