Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Resolution of knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Basically once you move the knob from very slow (20 degrees per second) it switches from one value per tick to the new slider settings, these can be the same as the very slow setting so yes it would be fine no matter how fast you turn the knob but it can also be set much faster (i.e. 1 degree of knob turn jumps 4 values). The acceleration is then the time between the lowest speed and the highest speed setting, this can be set to 0 so there is no ramp between them....good for Pan for example.
The plugins themselves give the surface the resolution of each knob so that's how different function types behave differently, eg. Pan Left to Right is only 200 ticks, where as Frequency (once fixed) will be 1024 ticks(or more)

You are right though, you have to play with it to see(feel) how it works.

P.S. All this is because on a digital console we use continuous encoders that only give out a certain amount of ticks per revolution, this then has to be translated into usable data for it to work correctly. For an analog console you just change the value of the Pots and underlying circuits.
v2 software does not seem to improve the resolution in any way that I can see. I still cannot fine-tune a notch filter as well as by using a modifier key and a mouse.

The new knob speed and sensitivity preferences help a lot with useability, though. Vast improvement!
Old 07-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Avid

Correct the resolution of the knobs like frequency is a fix in PT so not in S6v2.0...its coming though...
Old 07-20-2015, 03:03 PM

Thank you for following up!
Old 11-21-2015, 12:31 AM

Installed v2.1 today. I am VERY HAPPY with the way this fix works with PT12.3. I can notch quickly with good precision now. The modifier key is an excellent aid since it locks the knob to the plugin's finest resolution with no acceleration. Nice!
Old 12-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Avid

here you go....from the guide

Improved Knob Response for EQ and Other Parameters
The resolution of knobs for some functions (such as EQ frequency) has been increased, letting S6 get to all available values. Hold down Cmd/Alt (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) while turning a knob to adjust with maximum (fine) resolution. Note that if the Knob Sensitivity control in the Knobs section of the Settings > User screen is all the way to the left (Fine), these modifier keys have no
effect.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:57 AM

Installed the update today and very, very happy about the new fine resolution option!