Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-18-2020, 01:53 AM

Default Use AVID HD I/O Soft Clip feature as an analog brickwall mastering processor

Hi guys!
I am looking to invest in a hi-end analog Brickwall limiter /Peak limiter like the Maselec MPL-2 or something.
However...has anyone tried to use the soft clip feature in the AVID HD interfaces for that task?
Never turned them on of course, it sounds like a stupid thing to have on tracking but for mastering? What a cool thing if they were acting like perfect analog peak limiters?
Of course I can try myself but any user-experiences would be great as well.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Use AVID HD I/O Soft Clip feature as an analog brickwall mastering processor

It is a matter of opinion, but I have personally never likes that soft clip. I prefer hearing hard clipping so I can adjust levels properly. For me, recording peaks to -20dBFS has been a rule worth following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2020, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Use AVID HD I/O Soft Clip feature as an analog brickwall mastering processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Hi guys!
I am looking to invest in a hi-end analog Brickwall limiter /Peak limiter like the Maselec MPL-2 or something.
However...has anyone tried to use the soft clip feature in the AVID HD interfaces for that task?
Never turned them on of course, it sounds like a stupid thing to have on tracking but for mastering? What a cool thing if they were acting like perfect analog peak limiters?
Of course I can try myself but any user-experiences would be great as well.

Hi,

With there being such pressure on the mastering industry to go lower LUFS and lower peak i think this sort of clipping has had its day.

Clipping on some of the hi-end limiters can be good on some material or better still a combination of clipping and limiting ala Elevate and Limitless is a better option. But clipping doesn't really give you much control, it just bricks everything in its path.

Not saying the volume war is over but there is a lot of pressure to conform right now, but still no actual ruling yet.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:23 AM

Indeed^ And, if you want some "good" distortion, there are several plugins that give it with more better control. When I had my HDN rig(with HD IO boxes), I tried that feature on and off and never heard any change, but I also tried to keep recording(preamp) levels under control

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-18-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
some "good" distortion
that would mean analog gear. digital cannot mimic
Old 12-18-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Indeed^ And, if you want some "good" distortion, there are several plugins that give it with more better control. When I had my HDN rig(with HD IO boxes), I tried that feature on and off and never heard any change, but I also tried to keep recording(preamp) levels under control

Hi,

I think what firechild is asking is something a bit different to that. He's talking about using the converters to clip the signal coming back in to act as a brickwall limiter. Ala Ted Jensen @ sterling 2010

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:07 AM

Yea and told my personal opinion was/is have never liked it. But as with everything, everyone chooses their own poison.