Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 AM

Default Omni vs. 8x8x8

Hello,
I know very little about Pro Tools but need to purchase a system right away for a project we are working on. We don't have our sound designer yet so I can't get his/her opinion on that matter.

The purpose of the system is to record scratch dialog and create temp mixes. Our final record sessions and mixes are done in other facilities where they know what they are doing.

We will use two mics when recording and will mix 5.1 mixes.

Our previous sound designer highly recommended the OMNI HD. I've had other people recommend the 8x8x8 with a decent dual channel mic pre amp. For gain control in our mixing room I'm using a Datasat AP20 with JBL cinema speakers via Crown DSi amps.

Can anyone tell me if one way is much better than the other in regards to the OMNI vs. 8x8x8? How are the mic pre amps in the OMNI?

Thanks for any feedback regarding this.

-cablet
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Omni vs. 8x8x8

Omni as an I/O is 4 in 8 out.
Vs. 8 in 8 out for the 8-8-8.

From there on they're different.
Already having a monitor setup lends itself to using the onmi as an Interface / non-monitor device. This does affect the Monitor capabilities such as no headphones when it's an interface.

This does not affect the the 2 switchable Mic/Line inputs.
I personally would have liked the "Alt" for switching between a monitor device or an interface device for they both present different paths/control levels to my monitor-controller.
(As a monitor controller you can't record or externally meter your outputs without volume knob influence)

The preamps are fine and you can still add inserts for hardware compression. or just add a mic pre of choice to the front end.

It saves you a grand and can be flexible as well as limited.

Also consider if you have existing wiring, changes may have to be made.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:17 PM

Can you clarify what you mean by "no headphones" when used as an interface? Because that sounds incorrect, but I may have misunderstood you. And I don't know what you mean by "used as an interface".
Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Actually, OMNI is an 8x8 interface(total of IO, combining analog and digital paths) that also includes 2 preamps, monitor controls and headphone feeds, which makes it handy for a user that needs all that, and not much more(Omni has 14 actual inputs, but can only route a total of 8 into a Pro Tools session). The HD IO's(8x8x8 and 16x16) all can handle 16 ins and outs. 8x8x8 has 8 analog IO and 8 digital IO on lightpipe. 16x16 has 16 analog IO. There's also the 16x16 digital which has no analog IO at all. Since the Omni is the only HD interface with mic preamps and headphone jacks, the other HD interfaces require some other gear to complete a working system. Usually, that would include mic preamps(could be external boxes, or analog direct outs from a console), and a headphone amp(lots of solutions there, starting at about $50) and some kind of monitor controller(D-Box, or Presonus Central Station are 2 options). Hope that helps

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 AM

No headphones for analog 1-8 out.(Hardware monitor to None and assign analog out;s 1-2,-3-4,5-6,7-8)
Cue via 9-10 and input feeds pass to headphone but not 1-8 analog (Unless record input is used)

I've now got the monitor as hardware and I/O with sub-bus's working for my flow. (My previous I/O was the 192 8-8-8)
(one-Hardware and I/O setup, 7.1 wide with many sub-bus variations)

PS
Omni is so flexible that it's taken me a bit to get use to. My setup uses the monitor section and I trim the Vol. to +4 via RMS volt meter, Keep the CC4 and meter-bridge and use a MOT 896 as core feeding the AES ins to the Omni 5-6
Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 AM

So it sounds like you must be using an outboard monitor controller and have your Omni outs as just straight line outs, correct?

For the headphones, would it work to use Cue 9-10, and then add an aux send on all channels (or on groups) and send that to 9-10? Either that or have each track's output going to both 1-8 and 9-10 (by shift clicking, or however it's done).

But if you're on HDX it might use up too many voices, so maybe that wouldn't be ideal.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:10 PM

Yes the Shift Control to add outputs does work and aux send as you've indicated.

I finally have my head-arround and use the monitor assignments and so far so good.

My Controller (THX-CC4) (4x 5.1 in's by 1 gained 5.1 out and 1 pass through out for meters.
The surround/height/rears time share with cue during tracking (7-8) (Switched mirrored 7-8 TRS out)