Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 PM

Default Question: buy PT10 on ebay, no regist, right?

So, if I buy PT10 (or 9) on ebay, and I get the iLok and software I can load and run the software legally ok. But I can not register the product on the Avid site, right? (there is only a one-time registration of that serial number on the yellow card that comes with the product, correct?).

Therefore since I can not register the product, I can not purchase the next version at an upgrade price. Rather I would have to purchase the next version at the full product price. Correct?

Thank you
Chuck
Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Question: buy PT10 on ebay, no regist, right?

I've never seen a serial number for PT software ever. Only Avid hardware has serial numbers
The registration code deposits the ilok license to your ilok account.
Once a Reg code is used it's useless.
An Avid registration is not required and is not needed for updates and future upgrades. Any free updates you can go to the technical alerts section at duc.avid.com They are always posted in a public forum no need to have a log-in. You can even buy replacement installers on the Avid store for $15 or $20
Software Updater application in the Pro tools folder then can be download direct to computer. Paid upgrades will be available from any Avid dealer or avid.com
However you must keep your Protools ilok license in order to obtain any update or upgrade. That's al;l you need for updates and upgrades is the ilok license.
Just because it's not in Avid Account does not mean you can't get upgrades
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Thank you, Roberts.,

That all makes perfect sense.

What has confused me is that I do have an Avid login and account on the Avid site. On that I have a "Products" section and in that I have

Pro Tools 3rd Party Content
Celemony Melodyne Essential: serial number###
Downloads (Melodyne)
---------------------------------
Pro Tools Expansion Pack
iLok ID: ###
Downloads (allofthe expansion pack vi's)
-and-
Pro Tools Le 8 Upgrade Amnesty
Authorization Code: D########
Downloads (the 3 disc content) of the PT8 software.

Evidently I was confusing my PT Le8 Upgrade Amnesty auth code number with being tied into upgrades. I considered this number my point of reference for legal ownership.

I am wrong however, and as you point out, it is the iLok authorization that is the ownership factor.

So my question is; If I buy PT9 with iLok and PT9 registered to that iLok, and we move the iLok registration to my iLok account, then is it possible for me to buy PT10 at the upgrade price instead of the new price?

Thanks
Chuck
(actually I am taking the time to ask this for a poster on the PT9 forum as nobody is answering this gentleman, he just bought PT9 iLok and software but is wondering about PT10 upgrade price vs full price, so ... askin for him).
Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboyer1951 View Post
So my question is; If I buy PT9 with iLok and PT9 registered to that iLok, and we move the iLok registration to my iLok account, then is it possible for me to buy PT10 at the upgrade price instead of the new price?
Yes that is correct however you need to have a LE hardware to get PT 9 at a discount. $249.00 + 299.00 = 548.00
But your far better off just going for a LE to 10 upgrade and bypassing 9 altogether $499.00