Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-16-2006, 08:47 AM

Default Adjusting volume after automation is written

Hi, I've been wondering this for quite some time now...I'm not even sure if it's possible. Let's say in the middle of mixing a song, I want to fade the guitars down at a certain point, and then fade them back up. I'd normally do this with volume automation. However, let's say a week later I want to change the overall volume of that track, but keep the automation. Is this possible? Whenever I try to change the volume on a track where automation is written, it slides the fader back to its original position. I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to proportionaly keep the automation in relation to the volume changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-16-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Adjusting volume after automation is written

OK, select the track you want to do this to, then hit Control+hyphen, which will put that track in Volume view. Then hit F6, the Trimmer tool, put the Trimmer tool on the Volume line, click-hold the line and drag it down; the whole line will drag down, but the automation you wrote will still be there.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:42 AM

RadioMoo's suggestion definitely will work - if you don't want to mess with the automation though, you have a couple of options. If you have any sort of plug-in on that track, most plug-ins contain an input and output volume, you can just bump one of those up or down to get an overall level change on a track w/o changing the automation. You can also use the Digi 'trim' plug-in to add or subtract a little gain from any track.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMoo View Post
OK, select the track you want to do this to, then hit Control+hyphen, which will put that track in Volume view. Then hit F6, the Trimmer tool, put the Trimmer tool on the Volume line, click-hold the line and drag it down; the whole line will drag down, but the automation you wrote will still be there.

Great tip! Do you have any good idea for PT11 for same thing? Because this does not work for PT11.

Appreciate your help,
RAM: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Pro Tools 11.3.1

Appreciate the Rescue from Experts,

A.Y.L