Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Nope. I will probably never need those Voice Packs. I haven't in 25 years of using Pro Tools... and Catalina likely won't run on my existing CheeseGrater, teeing me up for a helluva upgrade expense that I'm not prepared for.
I meant once the dreaded HDX Voice Upgrade is out your card can support 384 voices without extra packs. Also meant the computer you are planning to get next that only likely runs Catalina ... well ... most likely requires PT supporting Catalina
Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You don't use Mojave? Many share the opinion that stability of 2019.5 is best ever Avid-branded PT

No, I'm with Windows 10. And it's stable, I must say. But stability is maintenance, not development. It's worth something, but not the price paid in subscription, which (do not forget) is an additional cost after basic purchase.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
No, I'm with Windows 10. And it's stable, I must say.
Okay then. You'll benefit from Catalina support later on, because of Avid's cross-platform development. It means things on Windows side are also going to be fully 64bit compatible before Microsoft enforces 64bit-only like Apple is doing now.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Seriously, we all know Avid has dropped the ball this year not being able to deliver their Voice Upgrade in 2019.1 when it was originally planned to be out. It needed to be postponed to 2019.3 and just before release they realised too big a percentage of HDX cards would fail the firmware update for some reason, so it got postponed again and released as 2019.5 without HDX firmware update.

Not defending, just making the point that Avid is half a year behind schedule due to this HDX Voice Upgrade fiasco, and they need to get it done before they need to start working on Catalina compatibility.

So likely all we see this year is HDX Voice Upgrade release and a late december bugfix release. Just being realistic here. Catalina support most likely not this year.

I understand, and it can happen in any business. But if it's a problem for Avid, it's also difficult for paying subscribers. In this case, the companies explain the situation and offer compensation to their subscribers (as an extension of their subscription). That's what I do myself in business, if one of my promised plans has failed.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I understand, and it can happen in any business. But if it's a problem for Avid, it's also difficult for paying subscribers. In this case, the companies explain the situation and offer compensation to their subscribers (as an extension of their subscription). That's what I do myself in business, if one of my promised plans has failed.
You have a fair point here. In a perfect world Avid would admit they are half a year behind and extend every support plan accordingly. Not getting any deeper into this though. Whatever I say people are calling me fanboi
Old 09-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
No, I'm with Windows 10. And it's stable, I must say. But stability is maintenance, not development. It's worth something, but not the price paid in subscription, which (do not forget) is an additional cost after basic purchase.
Your comments have been spot-on.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
But stability is maintenance, not development.
Might be as the rest of the world understands it, but in IT world there are no software maintenance teams, all coding is development be it fixing old issues or inventing new ones.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I meant once the dreaded HDX Voice Upgrade is out your card can support 384 voices without extra packs. Also meant the computer you are planning to get next that only likely runs Catalina ... well ... most likely requires PT supporting Catalina
Yeah, but for me, the computer is... later, and I don't even need the 384 voices. What I do need NOW is for them to fix the things they broke that I depend on, and it would be nice if they were able to implement some features that have been requested (on IdeaScale and beyond) for quite some time.

That is, if they're going to bill me $400/year.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
What I do need NOW is for them to fix the things they broke that I depend on
I'm sure you have support cases open for your problems..? Half of your 400-a-year is for support which you can now use as much as you need to, not having to think about the cost of a single ticket
Old 09-11-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
What is the promise Avid has broken that you are referring to?

Surely you must not mean their 2019.1 release slipping to 2019.3 and then 2019.5 because they do not promise any specific release, those dot-one and dot-three were only rumors confirmed by Avid.
Well when they first started the new upgrade model they did promise bug fixes would continue at no charge.

Last edited by zion; 09-11-2019 at 12:42 PM.