Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Default mid 2015 MBP High Sierra 10.13.6 and PT latest

So far running the latest pro tools on my system is not happening. Nonstop buffer error messages. I have done a 24 channel live session in Cubase on this system on 8 of the last 10 days, my system rocks:

MBP Mid 2015 2.8 i7 16g ram 500gb system flash drive. Recording onto 2 external SSD's on a simple usb3 internal drive docking bay
26 core UAD system w UAD16, 8p, twin and 2 octo sats, packed 10 slot lunchbox and a few gems in rack
2 4k monitors
Softube Console1
Monitoring through an SSL SiX to 3-way Dyns

So yes this mbp uses all its ports,

TB2-1 is dedicated for my 26 core UAD system

TB2-2 hits a starTech.com tbolt 2 dock, sends tbolt on to Aktikio 4 bay Tbolt enclosure with 4 4 or 5TB sata drives; esata to a 1tb esata drive, network cable plugged in (since people say PT doesnt like wifi on), 3 (off unless needed) usb1 or 2 drives and a CD Burner; and one of my 4k monitors is being driven by the Displayport out of it

USB3-1 hits a USB3 7 or 10 port powered hub, goes to Siftube Console1, 2 ports to a better CD burner, a 4-port usb2 hub for 2 iloks, 1 steinberg key and 1 logitech wireless keyboard/mouse nub, and a duplicate 4 port usb2 hub that just powers some desk lights

USB3-2 hits a 2 bay SATA/SSD enclosure, with 1 1tb samsung and 1 500gb samsung

HDMI out drives the other 4k monitor

So, its pretty taxed with gear, but it all cranks like a beast for cubase, DP or Ableton Live, all updated. Although I have to use Cubase 9.5 as 10 was very laggy for me.

Anyway I have need to return to Pro Tools as my main platform, but I cant get it going.

Someone said I should roll back to Sierra and run PT 2018

if that is indeed the solution, i will consider it. But it will probably hose my other programs that i use. I only do audio and video progs: PT, Cub, DP, Live, Audacity, MainStage, Sibelius, Finale, Notion, full Adobe subs, Final Cut Pro, Compressor.... I think thats mostly it. They all run perfectly or nearly so at this moment, except pro tools. I have been embarrassed to my client and had to give away FOUR days of sessions a few weeks ago bc of the problems. Really sucked... Amazingly I got them to hang in there with me, and they are but ya know the dynamic is diff now, im kind of a newb in their minds now...instead of a guy thats been doing this on and off for 32 years lol BLARGH, hepl hepl old dude! PUleeeeeez! :=)

I just bought a 2o13 Mac Pro ashtray maxxed with 12 cores for 3k so I really hope i never have these issues with pro tools again, but i still have to finish this next week on this laptop. SO far the only way i have been able to kind of make it work is by disconnecting EVERYTHING, all the monitors, screens, etc, everything except for the USB dongle hub and the UAD TB2 chain. Really sucks working on many tracks without extra screeens between UAD and PT screens, meh.. Any thought oh those of much knowledge??

Much Grass!