Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2019, 11:49 AM

Default Default Disk Allocation

Is there ANY preference setting so that, when creating a new session, the Disk Allocation will automatically default to the new parent folder?
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 08-27-2019, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Default Disk Allocation

That is the default behavior - under what circumstances are you not getting that?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-29-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
That is the default behavior - under what circumstances are you not getting that?
When creating a new session NOT from a template. I open the new session dialogue, name the session, select bit depth, sample rate & file format. I get the dialog box asking me where I want to save the session. But when I open the session, the disk allocation defaults to whatever session folder I had last entered in a disk allocation dialogue. Kind of like how Microsoft Word’s default save location is wherever you last saved something. Does that make sense?
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 08-30-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
When creating a new session NOT from a template. I open the new session dialogue, name the session, select bit depth, sample rate & file format. I get the dialog box asking me where I want to save the session. But when I open the session, the disk allocation defaults to whatever session folder I had last entered in a disk allocation dialogue. Kind of like how Microsoft Word’s default save location is wherever you last saved something. Does that make sense?
No.
Please clarify:
You create a session from the new session dialogue and amongst other things you tell it where to save the session. You then open the session and go to do a save but it saves to another location? I learned a long time ago in any computer program to always at least for the first save to do a save as instead that way you know exactly where things are being saved.

QAPLA!
Old 08-30-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:

That is definitely not normal behavior. Some more info on your system / drives might be helpful, but a complete trashing of prefs and cleanup of the install is probably the first thing to try.

Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Old 08-30-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No.
You then open the session and go to do a save but it saves to another location?
Nope. I'll try to be more clear.

Let's say Tuesday I start & finish a session called "Boris."

Wednesday I launch Pro Tools just by clicking on the app, NOT by clicking on an existing session. The Dashboard window opens.

I enter the name of a new session: "Natasha," select "Local Storage (Session)," File Type, Sample Rate, Bit Depth, I/O, and "Prompt for location." I save "Natasha" to my audio drive and the session opens.

I open the Disk Allocation dialogue. Custom Allocation Options is checked, but the Root media folder default is "Boris." Even if Boris was on another drive entirely, it will show up by default. If the folder no longer exists, Pro Tools will create it when it begins automatic session backups. To avoid file management issues I have to correct Disk Allocation fast, before it starts backing up.

In 20 years, a new session's Disk Allocation has *never* defaulted to the correct parent folder. I always have to waste several minutes fixing it manually. I mean, this must be easy to fix, right??

BTW I also use templates. I create them with the defaults I want and they work fine. This is only a problem with new sessions created directly from the Dashboard.
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 08-30-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
That is definitely not normal behavior. Some more info on your system / drives might be helpful, but a complete trashing of prefs and cleanup of the install is probably the first thing to try.
I didn't do a clean install of PT 2019. That may be worth trying.

PT Ultimate Native 2019.6
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core, 32G RAM
System, audio & sample drives are separate internal SSDs (APFS)
Apogee Symphony 16x16
HD Omni (monitoring only)
Artist Mix
EuControl 19.7.0.101
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 08-30-2019, 10:32 AM

Custom Allocation Options should not be checked on a default opening.

Actually just checked it. If you check Custom Allocation, it holds through creating new default sessions.
Unchecking it once and the default returns back to doing things normally for new sessions.

(This actually makes sense if you use things like disk arrays for round robin -- how it used to be done for large sessions on spinner drives; you'd alway want it to be set this way on any session. But verses setting a new specific folder, you need to uncheck the Custom Allocation option at the top to disable this for the default)

Last edited by BScout; 08-30-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Custom Allocation Options should not be checked on a default opening.

Actually just checked it. If you check Custom Allocation, it holds through creating new default sessions.
Unchecking it once and the default returns back to doing things normally for new sessions.

(This actually makes sense if you use things like disk arrays for round robin -- how it used to be done for large sessions on spinner drives; you'd alway want it to be set this way on any session. But verses setting a new specific folder, you need to uncheck the Custom Allocation option at the top to disable this for the default)
Just tried it while watching the US Open tennis on TV and it's just like you said in PT 2019.6 on OSX 10.12.6. Then again I never check disk allocation anyways - I just watch where the save as goes and if it's right I just do a save (which accounts for my thumb and forefinger of my left hand permanently bent in the shape of cmd-s

QAPLA!
Old 08-30-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I didn't do a clean install of PT 2019. That may be worth trying.

Not necessary - just was gonna ask if you had "Custom Allocation Options" checked, but I see BScout beat me to it. Just uncheck that and you'll be fine.